Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quite a few amp questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i have an ashdown head at the minute and i need a cab. i'm playing the warwick corvette fna jazzman 5 and play in a metal band so use a lot of low end but i also need to hear the high notes that im playing over the guitar and drums.

the cabs i'm considering at the minute are both 4x10s, will this be enough? and which is better...

hartke vx410 £225
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/htm/pic/12949.jpg

or

warwick w 411 pro cab £479
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/htm/pic/12509.gif

or sumthin else all togehter?

thanx :)

2. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Which Ashdown head do you have?

How much power at what ohms?

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If you want more low end, that usually means bigger speakers. Maybe you should look into a 210/115 stack.

4. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I concur that if you want extended low end, but need the highs/high mids to cut through the mix, your best bet in my opinion is to have a 15" driver along with a 2.5 or 4.5 extension cabinet.

I do own a Hartke VX410, and it does get plenty loud (even with my 200-watt HA2000 head). It carries the mids and highs fine, but it may not pump out the very low end you need for your metal style. As a matter of fact, I also use a VX115 with the VX410, and I play classic rock.

With your budget, it may appear as though you can buy a used 15" cab with the 4.5?? Take your Ashdown head and bass into the store and rip on those 4.5s and 2.5s and see what you think...Compare both models and maybe one of them alone will have the low end you want. If they have a 15" cab in the store, have them add it to both 4.5s (and any 2.5s) and see how it sounds. Pay attention to wattage, power handling on cabs is usually PEAK power handling (VX410 has peak of 400 watts), and the other cab may have more. I don't know the wattage on your head, but make sure you have some headroom with the cab/cabs you purchase. One more thing, check those tweeters. The tweeter on my VX410 is fine, but I've heard on some cabs the tweeters have been noisy...

Let your ears do the deciding and good luck!!

5. stropsrats

stropsrats Owner: www.kennedyaudio.com

Feb 14, 2005
    Valders, Wisconsin
    I've been reading reviews and ebay ads about something called an Aphex 1403 Guitar Xciter. If I remember all the stuff I read, people are using it to 'cut through' the mix without spending a lot of money or trying to reconfigure a second channel. They are under $50 I think. Check it out.
    There are other models made too, and they should work
    on guitar or bass. Adds in a more precisely controllable amount of the compressed out highs and transients.

6. If I was in a metal band I would go for a 2x12 cab and a 2x10 cab. I don't know what is available across the pond so I can't recommend any brands but the 12's will get your low end but stay tight. The tens will get your upper mids.

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    thanks everyone :) its a 300w head iv got now, i'll try for either the 2 10s and 2 12s or maybe th 15 and the 12s