Quite a story about one amp and it's adventure through many hands...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 17, 2002.

1. OK, this is long, but it'll tick you off, amuse you, and make you laugh all at the same time....

So it starts off with our band. Our drummer uses an ibanez acoustic guitar amp as a vocal monitor right now, which he bought from a friend that used to play...
    In another band at school, is a kid, we'll call him "Joe", and he used to be in the band im in now (which is called "Barefoot"). He was a guitar player/singer, but the band kicked him out due to some disturbances and poor poor cooperation/whining. SO after he left, I came aboard, and thats when this amp was placed into our posession by our friend. "Joe' decides that he likes this amp, and borrowed it once or twice. After he started his new band, he needed an amp, so he decided to go to our drummers house (where the amp lives and where we now practice). Our drummer's sister is home alone, so he says he has to pick up "his" amp, which actually belongs to us. So he takes our drummer's ibanez moniter.

Our drummer gets home and decides to play his drums that night, and alas, no monitor. He asks his sister, and she tells him that "Joe' took the amp. He calls "Joe" up and asks him nicely what the deal is, and when we'll get the amp back. All of a sudden, joe says that he needs it more and that it doesnt belong to us. He says it belongs to "Jesse", who was the owner of the amp before he sold it to us/gave it to us. And he also claims that "Jesse" said he could use it. SO our drummer calls up "Jesse" and asks what happened, and "Jesse" informs him that he never said that "Joe" could have the amp. He then goes on to tell the drummer that it belongs to our band and that it is not "Joe's" decidion at all. Our drummer then calls "Joe" and tells him whats up and "Joe" has the audacity to get pissed off and argue. He says that we allready have too much gear and that he needs it more than us and that he isnt giving it back. After a day or so of smooth talking, our drummer convinces him to return the amp, but then he says that we would have to drive to his house to pick it up. (Which is again ridiculous because he had no right to take it in the first place...). Then he changes his mind and says he will bring it over sometime soon, so we figure this whole ordeal is resolved.....WRONG! He then decides that we dont need it agian, and that he is more in need of an amp. (and God forbid he has to save his own money and buy one like the rest of us normal folks!)

Next we have a party which occured tonight in which this other band decided to ask if they could play the party. The girl says yes, and the hype starts. It turns out Joe has been talking trash and telling everyone at school that his band blows our band out of the water, and he suddenly feels the need to make a competition out of it. We are getting frustrated, because we want no competition, we just want our monitor back so we can jam and practice....
    Next, Joe calls up our drummer and asks him if they can borrow a mic stand for their show. Our drummer says OK, but only if we get the mic stand back and the amp at the end of the night. "Joe' gets pissed and says "screw that then!" and ends the conversation.

Next comes my master plan, I decide that since he isnt willing to give the amp back by choice, we must take action and reclaim what was and still is rightfully ours! So the night comes, and the band plays their tunes...we are relaxing, and all four members of our band are at this house....All of a sudden, I see Joe, and i think, "Ok, we gotta act soon or our chance will not come..." Next thing we know, Joe leaves teh room for a second, so i look at one of our guitarists and go "let's do it". We walk over, toss a fleece over the amp, and walk upstairs...

Think we are homefree? There is but one challenge left....Upon entering the main floor of the house, the girls mom looks up. She see's us obviously looking suspicious both walking out with an amp, with a fleece over it, hurrying up....SO she asks "uhh....are you boys uh....leaving??" And our guitarists comes up huge...haha he says "No, just packing up some gear real quick"...she gives us a weird look, and we make the getaway! Nice...

I would also like to add that earlier in teh night, the guitarist who assisted me in the heist, politely asked Joe for the monitor/amp back and he again says "No way man, you guys have too much gear allready!"

As happy as i am to get the amp back, I am still frustrated that someone could act so ridiculously. What kind of argument is "you allready have too much gear?" Not to mention that he acted like it was his decision, yet he had no say or ownership as far as the amp is concerned. It additionally pisses me off due to the fact that our whole band works hard for their moeny and saved for a long time for the quality gear that we have now....that whole incident was a huge insult.

Well, glad I could share, and let me know what you think if you care to share....
  2. Personally I would have drove over to his house and taken the amp by force if necessary. And probably left the guy in a bloody mess on the floo.......

Wait, thats a different life.

Violence and stealing is bad!

You BAD person! How dare you be BAD like that!

Um, actually thats pretty slick, major props. It would have been better if he had given you the amp back, but you gotta do what you gotta do. He shouldn't have put you in that position which forced you to take it.
  3. I would have encountered him face to face, where he coulnd't hide behind a phone line, and told him to give me the amp. I don't think in your case that you really had to be "polite" to a thief.
  4. How can he call himself a musician? Everyone KNOWS there is no such thing as too much gear.:D

Rock on
  5. Eric....My thoughts exactly...haha. It's true man...there's two htings you have to learn about gear when you are a musician. 1)Theres no such thing as too much headroom, and 2)Theres no such hting as too much gear.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait...I think I know "Joe"...only in my town, he goes by the name "Elliot". Same story, only w/ a Mic and a loaner amp of mine....
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My eyes are all bLuRrY now!:D
    But that was a slick way of getting an amp back! Especially with "Joes" mum around. If that was me I would have choked and run off like a little screming girl!:D :D
  8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    That was straight outta mission impossible!Good idea man.Fleece over the amp trick,ill have to try one day.Well congrats you got your amp back,and never let joe borrow anything from you again.
  9. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    well that was handled responsibly, if it was me i like things to be resolved quick, meaning after me asking him for it back more than twice i would proceed to twist his head off with his own arms.

you didnt steal the amp cause it was already yours, i would have told that kids mom exactly what i was doing, no sheet or anything at all. ill bet that if you had told his mother she probably wouldhave pulled the "Joe, come here NOW!" and humilliated him there.

nicely done though,
  10. Actually, there must be some misunderstanding. The mom we encountered was the mother of the girl who was holding the party. And the thing is, i believe that if we had told "Joe's" mom, she would have taken his side and hated us....which again ats to the ridiculousness (if thats even a word).
  11. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    ahh so it wasnt his mom. anyway im off to do something else......