Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quite possibly my final bass expenditure...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jobu3, Jan 11, 2004.

Which one?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2004.
  1. Rob Allen MB-2.

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Big Kydd.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Ok, in the upcoming year or so I plan on buying a small cabinet to complement my current setup and my last bass. (I know, I know...) :eek:

Anyway, I am looking into something that is fit for acoustic gigs/recording and gets good upright tone (keep in mind I am primarily into electric and am more interested with what other elec. players think) and want something that will maintain the 35" scale and be protable. I am most interested right now in Rob Allen's MB-2 5-strings and Big Kydd 5's. What would you guys choose of those two and why?

What I think so far:
    I like the ability to sit with RA and the overabundance of "mwah." I like the upright feel and tone of the Kydd (I am aware that this does well with some added EQ and that will hardly be a problem). I can play both brands locally, although not the exact models I want. Thanks guys!
    :bassist:

2. hmm, thats a toughy. i would say get some quality time in with both and decide which would fit your music (and personal preferences) best and go from there. both seem to be amazing basses. good luck :)

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Joe, that's a real tough choice...
    the RA are great basses. but if it was me I think I'd go for the Kydd XL :D

[​IMG]

make it a 'REAL' fake Real bass ;)

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'd like to keep it at 35" scale. Another factor (although less important than overall playability and tone) is price: the RA is a good $800.00 or so more than the big Kydd when you include the HSC. Out of the box, I think the RA will have more mwah but installation of tapewounds may add some to the Kydd at the expense of some upright thump... I don't know, oh the choices! :eek: :D

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :p I was just busting ya.

Both would be killer... I still say Kydd of the 2 (30", 35" or 41.5")

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :spit: :D

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    IMO the Rob Allen sounds closer to a Double Bass than the KYDD does. The KYDD sounds like a fretless bass guitar with a bit of difference in sustain. The Rob Allen has the thump(with Labellas), and just seems more practical. I do like the KYDD basses though. They play great, and are unique. Rob Allens just have that special feel and tone to them. I have never heard a bass guitar sound even close to an Allen. They just sound so much more organic. I just traded in(technically) one of my Double basses for an MB2. Easier to transport, easier to play, and more practical in some situations.

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The poll is leaning towards the RA and actually, that is where I am swaying as well... for the moment at least. Anyone else? :cool:

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Rob Allen vote here.

if i was to do an EUB it would be an NSD.

f

10. and i think we can all agree the Rob Allens win in the aesthetic department :)

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    get a RA DEEP 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KO-A

KO-A

KO-A

KO-A

KO-A

KO-A

KO-A

KO-A

f

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I don't know that it would be worth the extra grand for my needs... :eek: :meh:

13. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You don't need deep to get KOA!

My Rob Allen:

[​IMG]

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Played them both (well, 4 string versions) today and it was Rob Allen hands down! Absolutely incredible tone!!! :D Now to research the difference between RA's and Renaissance... Off to the search feature! ;)

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't want to hijack your thread, but now that you've brought it up...

I always had a majorly huge fetish with Rob Allens, until I played a 5-string Renaissance. The Renaissance was unbelievable!:D