Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quite possibly the best bass in the world for the money

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Jun 20, 2004.

1. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I have this 1983 Ibanez Roadstar II and it never ceases to amaze me. It has an incredible set of passive pickups in it that can get almost any tone out there. I'm still trying to think of another bass that can do this much w/o paying a fortune.

The bridge pickup is called a "Super J" and alone gets sort of a MM sound. The neck pickup is essentially a "P" pickup. The controls have one tone, one volume, and a blend knob plus it has a coil tapping switch. Loads of different sounds outta this one.

The body is made of alder w/ a birdseye top (it has Ivory binding) and I think it's one of the best lookin' basses out there.

The neck has a slim, fast feel like a Jazz bass.

The bridge is heavy duty and has great sustain.

I think I overpaid for it b/c I think I gave like $400 to the Swami a few years back but these are really hard to find and I think it was worth it.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on such an awesome inexpensive Japanese bass. Especially for those Ibanez slammers out there.

[​IMG]

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I been finding myself searching EBAY lately in search of some of those older basses such as the Roadstars, Bullet Basses, the Aria basses. But your Roadstar is in really nice condition, nice score.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have a very similar bass but with two humbuckers and pushbottom knobs instead of the seperate switch in a aqua marine burst. Im probably going to sell it since I never play it.

Here is my vintage Ibanez of doom:

1975 Ibanez Black Eagle
    [​IMG]

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Sounds familiar.

I had this one for years. Probably should have kept it but someone offered me.....400 dollars. I wonder if that's my old one. When did you get it?

[​IMG]

5. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I also had one too. Sold it about a year ago. I had a nice collection of old Ibanez basses. The only one I have left is a 76' Jazz copy. I just couldn't sell that one.

6. BassGuy

BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    I have one too. It seemed like they put this name on a lot of basses with different pup styles. The bridge is the same and the neck seems to be, too. Mine I bought new in 1983 or about $400. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Badger

7. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS

Nope...this one's not yours Jacko. I think you have the '84 model b/c I think they only made this model for 2 yrs. Yours has a truss rod cover. Mine has the truss rod in the body like a Ray. Plus yours is almost black around the edges.

8. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I almost bought one of those the other day from a guy that contacted me from Ebay but he wanted to work the transaction outside of Ebay and I was a bit unsure. The price would have been right. Yours is the RB820... mine is the RB924. Got this info from the catalog scans on the Ibanez Vintage page. Here's a link to the scan with your bass. http://www.break-even.org/ibzscans/1981/rs/rs-14.jpg I was really happy to find out that they had these scans b/c I couldn't find any specs on my bass and with these scans I was able to find out the body wood type and other good stuff.

9. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Nick man,

Please let me know if you decide to sell. I will likely be your buyer. Please send pics ASAP. I love that Black Eagle too.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ill be in Miami this next weekend. I left my bass there with my ex-girlfriend. Unless she took the breakup worse than I think she did it should be in the shape it was before which is pretty worn.

Ill get you pics.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Here its is.

Its pretty beat up on the back and the front has a few dings but thats just cosmetic. One of the tuners is bent, and the output jack could use a cleaning but they still work fine.

Well it still works and it sounds pretty cool. I just dont use it. Its not for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peace
    Nick

12. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey Nick, thats actually a really cool looking bass! Is the top birdseye as well?

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yup.

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [​IMG]

Wow!! I had one just like that back in the day!! You didn't pick that up at Alpha Music in Virginia Beach did you?? ;)

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Nope, Ed's Guitars in Miami, Fl

16. Wow, one of my bass teachers has one of those, but it's white. I always remembered that bass because its upper horn bumped inwards like a Rickenbacker. It looked like a sweet bass! The current bass they have at my music school is a roadstar, white with black pickguard, and a P/J configuration. The strings are a million years old and the action is really really low. Result? Amazing playability and lots of thump.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    those are some pretty sharp looking instruments. i miss body binding :bawl: heh.

18. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I own one myself. Just mine is solid white with black hardware, no binding. It's alse fretless with fretline markers. You are right, the tone of that bass is awsome. Very flexible with a great palette. My only beef with the bass, is that ever since I have been residing in Japan, the humidity here has been playing havoc with the neck. Right now it is so bowed that I cannot play it. :mad:

19. Mines quite a bit different though... ill see if i can find and post a picture....