Quite Sane - The Child of Troubled Times

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Turski, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    - Quite Sane - The Child of Troubled Times: Short Stories (Cool Hunter Records)

Rating: 9 out of 10

ANTHONY Tidd combines jazz and hip hop into a 21st century beat bop that plays off the genres to create something fresh and new.

Tidd's UK band Quite Sane recorded a demo a few years back which reached the ears of some influential American musicians including alto sax man Steve Coleman and the Roots' manager Rich Nichols.

The two buddies brought Tidd over to the States to join Coleman's band and work with the Roots. Over the past few years he has further established his credentials by performing with musicians such as Greg Osby, Talvin Singh and Bjork. Eventually the U.S. gigs overtook his London roots and he set up camp in Philadelphia - home of the Roots and an enclave for edgy music of all persuasions.

When Nichols was given the chance to set up his own label one of the first people he approached was Anthony Tidd. The resulting album shows why he did.

A guy I work with gave me this CD the other day and I can't stop listing to it! Now I'm not a big fan of hip hop, but this recording just keeps getting better and better every time I hear it! I love the smoothness of the bassist! It's like ear candy to me. If anyone has heard this CD let me know what you think! If anyone has'nt...I recomend you give it a listen!!

That all :)