1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quitting a band tomorrow

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Indexed, Nov 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Indexed

Indexed

Aug 24, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Going to give my notice tomorrow after rehearsal, promising to play that last booked gig. I'm wanting to go in a different musical direction, get back to rock/R&B/Motown/blues. I truly wish those guys success and look forward to attending gigs as a spectator who loads up the tip jar.
    ------- segue ------
    Ok, I'm done with playing Wagon Wheel. I'm done with telling you where to plug your XLR cables into the mixer after I've placed a laminated chart next to it. I'm done with hearing the drummer ask "How does this go?" I'm done with a rhythm guitarist getting tanked and forgetting lyrics mid-song. I'm done with getting to load-in early so that lead guitarist can make a fashionably late appearance. I'm done with providing batteries, extension cords, mics and cables to those who can't be bothered to look out for themselves. I'm done with putting up the charts so that you can criticize, play a different arrangement, then not update them.
    ----------------------

tl;dr: It's time to move on. To playing music I like and before I become *that guy* who expects more than the others are willing to deliver. It still feels weird.

2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Do it. I was sorry for a while but found much better band and much better people.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    1) Or you could just stop doing all that you do. Give them an "as of" date and just take care of yourself.
    2) Or ask for 2 shares of the pay. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your new band.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  4. do it, and wish them the best luck with an ironic smile... and make sure they catch your ironic smile :thumbsup:

Charlzm and staccatogrowl like this.
  5. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    So, do I read this right? The squeaky wagon wheel isn't getting the grease?

6. Indexed

Indexed

Aug 24, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Did that already, hasn't changed anything.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  7. you have valid cause, clearly

8. Sounds like my previous band!
    My song was mustang sally.
    Stage fright caused the guitarist to drink way to much ,drummer would always slide in at the very last moment,husband and wife vocalists (husband was a subpar singer)! Ugh!
    I had a lot of history with some of them, so I was reluctant to leave. One year later I'm so much happier! Current band is made of pro players, no drinking or bickering. Music is tight,everyone knows their parts and pulls their own weight!
    Life is short,do what makes you happy! Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Stumbo, mikewalker, five7 and 6 others like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sounds like you made an effort to make it work. You not only leave, but do it with a clean conscience.

Best of luck with whatever is next.

10. neddyrow

neddyrow Support Staff for My Better Half Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    you just triggered me!

i was brought back to all the bad band issues i've ever had.

you should quit....as someone who has walked away from similar situations, i can speak from experience.

it gets better!

Stumbo likes this.
  11. Indexed

Indexed

Aug 24, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, all. I'm putting 100% into prep for the final show & swan song, then it's back to challenging, fun music.

12. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Do you have a beater bass that you could use for the last song?

You play an amazing last show, pull out the beater bass for the last song, nail it and then do the bass equivalent of a mic drop.

Stumbo, Munjibunga, gregmon79 and 5 others like this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Not in a band, currently... how fortunate are those who find the right mix of people, making what seems to be 'work', effortless...

... one of my favorite phrases... 'When everybody's working, ain't nobody working that hard.'

14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    THAT would be hilarious...

15. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I cannot tolerate "fashionably late appearance" could be some deep seated psychological issue. It appears as if you gave it a good solid effort, and maybe if others had stepped up at least some you might not have to leave, yet they failed. My thought would be to leave nicely, but definitely leave.

Stumbo likes this.
  16. Indexed

Indexed

Aug 24, 2016
    Houston, TX
    If I can do that before the first of the five Jimmy Buffett songs in our set list, then count me in for making it look like a Who encore.

Stumbo, mikewalker, gregmon79 and 2 others like this.
  17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Tampa, FL.
    Hadn't heard that phrase in awhile, but it's a good one.

Stumbo and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm sure I didn't create it, but I'll take credit for it, here and now... :laugh:.

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Tampa, FL.
    There's no shame in packing it up if the band isn't working for you. I've been doing it a lot lately as it has been hard to find players who "get it." On the rare occasion that I have found good players, they would often allow one or two bad seeds to continue to exist in the group, which would ultimately drag us down.

Good luck!

20. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Life is too short to play in a band that doesn't make you happy.

Spectrum, Dieboy, bmac314 and 5 others like this.