Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quitting A Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CanadianBassGuy, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Alright, I suppose this would be a sorta spin-off on the "Firing A Band Member" thread, but I plan on quitting my band after I get my bass fixed (the input kinda fell apart on me.... during a gig... after the second song... with hot girls in the crowd...), and its pay day on Friday, so thats when I'm taking it in. Anyways, I'm not particularly liking where this band is headed. We have a whole 4 songs in the year and half we've been together that I enjoy playing, and I have another band lined up with a couple other buddies of mine, who share the same vision for music as me. So what do you all think would be a good way for me to remove myself from my current group?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Tell them why you want to quit. Fulfill all outstanding gig commitments. Agree a leaving date. Agree terms for any joint owned gear.

If you want to leave dont be persuaded to stay.

This is all my opinion but its best to leave on good terms. You never know when people turn up again.

3. only 4 songs in 1.5 years ? holy poo... :eek:
    I write about 2 to 3 songs per month myself...

i've always sair to myself : if you're not making any progress, you might as well quit..
    so i'd say it's time to ditch the losers, and start a new band with your buddies !

4. True,true. My band started off slowly, also. But since we have got going into the swing of writing, we have been on fire! Writing about one song every 3 practices. We practice once a week for 4 hours. I wouldn't call us prolific songwriters, but once the musical juices are flowing, songs come easy.

Seing as how you are taking this from my "Firing a member" thread, I reckon you should be certain in you decision, otherwise you might live to regret it. But if you are sure that you will be happy in another band, then by all means, go for it!

5. No no no, it was 4 songs I actually enjoy playing, I think we have 14 or 15 right now.
    I dont know how many of them we actually play when we practise, but its not that many. Thanks for all the advice everybody... now its homework time...

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Just tell them. Why beat around the bush? If they formed a suicide pact from your leaving, it was probably for the best anyway. ;)

I've quit bands many times. Just say, I'm not interested in playing with this band any further.
    If they ask,why? You say, because I'm not interested in playing with this band anymore. That's that...:)

7. Quitting a band is one of the tougher things to do. Just be honest and explain that you're growing in a different direction musically. They can't really argue with that.

As a side note, when I quit my last band, the drummer quit also. Turns out he was thinking of quitting for some time too and he saw an opportunity for him to ease his way out of the band. I was kind of the catalyst for their breakup. I auditioned and joined the band and five months later I quit for both musical and personal reasons. The rest of the band probably aren't too fond of me!

But I learned an important lesson about joining a band. Before committing to joining a band, it would be wise to look ahead and ask yourself if you can see yourself being satisfied in the long run.

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    sit down with 'em over a few ciggies (i don't care if they don't smoke, either) and explain very calmly in a straight-forward manner that, as a bassist, you have a duty to be musically promiscuous and that they were fun while they lasted (which they weren't, but lie so they don't hit you as hard, right), but you must now move on to greener, richer, wilder and hairier pastures. add in something about why baboons have disgusting pink arses with all manner of crap stuck to them. they will soon realise that you are quite insane and will ask you to leave of their own accord.

rockin' :)

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I agree with the method of talking to them and being cool. Figure out together when and how leaving would be best. Good luck.

10. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    And don't go around bad mouthing them afterwards. Whether you quit or get fired, or someone else quits or you fire them. If anyone asks about it later, just tell them that we were going different directions musically and it was time for a split. You never know when you'll be auditioning for a band that's friends with a friend of their's and what they say about you could make a difference.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    when i quit the stupid country band i was in, i told the band leader exactly what i didnt like about the band, then told him that i wasnt going to be at future rehearsals. Just be polite, tactfull, and professional about it and all should go fairly smoothly. Good Luck!!!