Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quitting smoking... again!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, Feb 5, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    This is my second try at quitting. I only started about 2 years ago, and I really would like to quit. Damn I want a smoke.

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Hey man, just keep trying.

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I hope I quit for good this time. I heard somewhere that it takes the average smoker 7 tries to quit. I hope I can at least beat that!

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Well done, you have taken a big step in saving your life. The first two weeks are the worst. Thats the chemical addiction, after that its all in your head. Several of my patients have given me numerous tips on quitting to pass on to others. They all call for a diversion of some sort. Try to shy away from the activities that your relate to smoking. Sugar free gum is a healthy diversion too, gives your mouth something to do.

Diversion is the key.

Good luck, if I can be of any help, let me know.

Mike

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    There may be a reason I smoked in the first place. I learned in my Psych. class that some people have an oral fixation (due to not enough breast feeding as a child or soemthing rather). I almost always have something in my mouth. I chew up my pens, chew gun, chew on straws, bite my nails... etc. I believe that ciggs were just another thing to put in my mouth (at first, before the addiction kicked in). I would love to stop chewing on things completely, but I really don't see it happening.

You know, the one thing that gets me to stop chewing on stuff is coffee.... I have no idea why.

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Hang in there. It's tough, but you can do it. :bassist:

7. G'day

Well I'm 13 days into my quit - 2nd time I've quit (first time lasted about 12 hours) - and I'm absolutely LOVING IT!!!!! Keeo in mind that I'm 34 and have been smoking since I was 17 (full time anyway)

Now I know that sounds unusual - but theres' a reason - and that reason is a book called Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking - here's a link to show you the cover so you can find it easily. http://www.quitsmoking.com/books/allencarr/

What this book does is it explodes the 'brainwashing' that associates with smoking - the little habits that make you want to smoke etc. Sure - you have a couple of very mild withdrawal pangs but you are shown (by reading the book) how to turn these perceived negatives into a VERY POSITIVE experience. Now I've also had a few nights on the beers (I'm sure you know how much drinking and smoking go hand in hand) and come through with nothing worse than a couple of pangs (and this was drinking with mates who were smoking!!!!)

Trust me - I've already shown two of my close mates (who have smoked 15 years and 10 years respectively and have tried to quit numerous times before) and they're both cigarette free and also LOVING IT!!!!!

Ok - can't say more than that - it's about $20 in Australia so should be even cheaper in the USA - and it frickin works beautifully!!!

Good luck - believe me - read this book and you'll LOVE being an EX-smoker as well

Enjoy!!!!
    Dean

8. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You had me at G'day..... but seriously, if I can't cope without my smokes, I will check this book out!

9. good luck dude! :bassist:

10. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I quit 2 days ago. I'm using the patch. I totally recommend them.. I get almost no cravings. I've tried a couple times cold turkey and just couldnt handle it.

I started smoking at age 11 and the other day I realized that I have spent half my life as a smoker. I decided to quit immediately. We'll see how it goes

11. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Good luck, I know it's a hard one to beat!!!

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Good advice everyone. I don't smoke full time anymore, but I do smoke when I go out drinking (once per weekend). So Mike is right, If I want to quit completely I'd need to stop drinking.

What helps me not smoke during the week is that I started excercising 3 times a week. I feel more relaxed as a result and I don't crave cigs.

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I quit in Sept 03 after 24 years of smoking.

Cold turkey. No patch, no nothing.

Havent felt this good in years. Probably the best thing I've done for myself.

14. I quit smoking on the 25th of May last year, and I'm still holding...I do get cravings every now and then, but I haven't had a cigarrette since then. I did smoke the pipe for a bit last july-august, but I quit when I realized I was still addicted. I've got by by thinking that I only need to avoid one cigarette, the first one.

Worked for me, might work for you!

15. When my uncle quit smoking, he went cold turkey and just replaced the smoking with lollies. Albeit not the most healthy of alternative, there isn't a whole lot worse than smoking! :)

Regarding your 'oral fixation', it would more than likely be related to smoking and sucking/chewing acting to relieve your anxiety in the past. From then, its become a habit to chew on things. I don't really see chewing on things as an issue unless it disturbs you or your life in any great way - ie. chewing on electrical wiring. :p Best way to go if you do relieve anxiety by chewing is to always have sugarless gum with you, as Mike suggested. Everytime you feel the itch, just pop some that in and chew till your hearts content.

I'm sure Dr Phil said (although I have read this many times in Behavioural Psych theory) that you will never completely remove a habit, but simply replace one with another. The best way to go about it is to replace a detrimental one, with one that has limited or no bad effects on you. Best of luck and keep us updated! :)

[k]

16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I really don't like gum... isn't that odd? As I was reading this post I was actually chewing on a blank CD.... what is wrong wtih me?!?!?!??

Anyways, last night I went up to Mt. Baldy with some friends. There was some beer and some smoking, but I must say I did great. A "friend" told me that only quitters quit. I am not really sure how to take that.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've heard reports say cigarettes are harder to kick than heroin. Dunno if that's true, but I do know a saying: "Smokers never quit. They stop for a while."

If you can stop for a while, good for you.

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I did it the same way. 16+ months and still going strong.
    The biggest motivator was when my sense of smell and taste came back.
    Only drawback were the 7kg I gained in the process and I'm still not yet back to my old weight.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Considering the alternative, I'd take the 7kgs.

20. [​IMG]

remeber ! its good for you!!!!! see ^^^ (no...bad, dont listen)

good luck