Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quitting smoking is fun, kids!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm not doing too bad on the whole "not smoking" thing, but if this keeps up I'll need new furniture.

I'm fairly... tightly wound all the time, and trying to beat my addictions is attenuating that and making things worse. I don't feel too bad right now, but I'm developing a large knot on the outside edge of my right hand. Earlier, my mouse wasn't behaving properly, so I beat the **** out of it and my desk. It all works fine now, and I feel better.

Here's to hoping I beat the addiction once and for all on this go-round, cause I'm tired of feeling like **** and not being able to breathe.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    11 days for the biological addiction to quit. A lifetime of psychological addiction to overcome.

3. I've read that it's actually closer to 3-5 days for the physical/biological addiction. It was around 4 days for me...

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Bah! It's easy to quit smoking...I've done it hundreds of times ;)

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im curious... I smoke a cigarette or two every week or so when Im out, sometimes Ill go amonth without smoking at all.

Since there is supposedly a 3-5 day biological quitting time does that mean my body wont become physically addicted with this style habit?

Peace
    Nick

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno. I heard 11 from my family, who are doctors, nurses, pharmacists, sugeons, and paramedics. I figure they know what's up.

7. maybe it's 11 days max, and then there's no physiological excuse after then?

8. I haven't hade a cigarrette in 13 months :). I used (swedish) snuff as a nicothine-source while getting rid of the mental addiction(it's higher in nicotine and cheaper than those gums), and then i just quit that after a few months. I have however smoked a few cigars, and I'm known to smoke a pipe every now and then, but no everyday use, and definitely no cigarrettes.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Eyescream, you're going great. Keep it up. PM me if you need help maintaining your enthusiasm.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I happen to believe alot of the addiction is in your head. I quit a two+ pack a day cold turkey more than 3 years ago and never looked back! What we are addicted to is the smoke when we get up, drink coffee, on the way to the car or public transportation, after meals and before bed. We use it to take breaks, go gossip and be nosey, look more mature and fit in (you teenies),to calm our nerves. Most people can't quit because they don't follow through with abstinence of the product. The only way to quit is to stop and not pick it back up! No excuse, not death, not anger, not divorce. deal with what ever the situation is and don't pick up a cig. Don't pick it up and you can't smoke it! It is simple as that. Remember there is no excuse to pick up and smoke a cigarette after you stop. once you understand that concept you will be fine!

P.S.
    once you see the amout of money you will save, quiting becomes easier. For me it was 16 dollars a day! do the math!

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Quitting tobacco...bah...try quitting TB!

brad cook

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I happen to agree. It's easier sometimes not to worry about it than others. Right now I've got a knot on my hand from pitching my tantrum last night that's reminding me to calm the hell down.

Yeah. I started throwing a pack's worth of money into a jar everyday. Soon, it will be new bass time again (and $130+ a month will help a lot with that).

Thanks, all.

13. I smoke barely a pack a week. Just when drinking :)

14. Someday I will quit.

I just have to figure out how crappy it's making me feel.

Try kicking an 8 year opiate addiction!!

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well done guys!

I recently un-quit after having done so well for a whole year. :bawl:.

No matter how badly things are going, there is NO SUCH THING as "only one" if you know you are prone to the habit.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    kicking an 8 year opiate addiction can be done in a few day's. It will not be easy because of the bodies physical addition to opiates but it can be done! I have actually talked people through it by being there holding them and talking to them. the worst part is the body tremors and the loose bowels which last a few day's, after that the body gets stronger after total withdrawl. you must go through the withdrawl to get clean! a few day's of misery for a lifetime of sobriety it's up to you! Eleven years ago I choose sobriety over drugs and life is great, and God is greater!

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    One is too many, and a thousand is not enough!

18. A few days of misery is quite the understatement. :p

A week or so of being crabby or a week of opiate withdrawal- I'd much have rather done the nicotine withdrawal! And I will, when I am ready.

19. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i'm trying to quit but i'm really having a lot of trouble with it. i've tried it cold turkey numerous times already but it's just not happening. i've even wrote on my desk at home and at work with a black magic marker 'YELLOW TEETH, BLACK LUNGS & 100 EURO'S A MONTH' but it doesn't help.

do any of my TB brothers have tips/solutions for me? like pills that make you throw up or feel terrible if you smoke? i've been smoking a pack a day for about 10 yrs now and as i said before, i really want to quit.

after work (i'm an accountant) on a friday i like to have a couple of beers and that's when things go wrong. i don't want to quit drinking, just smoking. funny thing is, during the week i don't drink and i have no trouble not smoking, except for fridays.

any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree... I quit smoking about ten years ago and since then I bought these with the savings:

So long, nicotine...