Quitting the band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 31, 2001.

1. I think I'm going to leave my band.

I'm having some severe musical differences with the keyboardist in my band, who happens to be the primary songwriter. He spends 6+ hours a day writing vomit-inducing soft-rock songs of the Billy Joel sort, uses a "pretty" but cheesy grand piano patch even on metal stuff, and is remarkably disorganized when we rehearse.

I am 180 degrees from that. Most of what I write is sparse, groove-oriented, but harmonically interesting metal-ish stuff in the vein of Tool, Primus, and King Crimson. I try to adapt my tone to fit the song, which includes using a pick if necessary (something the keyboardist hates, since I suspect he's one of those "I like to feel but not hear bass" guys). I expect charts to be made up when I come to rehearsal, since we can only get three hours of rehearsal time per week. (I try to write out charts as best I can, but the keyboardist doesn't like my songs.)

I like the guitarist and drummer a whole lot--they're incredible musicians--but as talented and knowledgable as the keyboardist is (we're the only ones who know any theory, really), he's just a pain in the ass to work with. Problem is, the guitarist and keyboardist are roommates and very close friends, and alienating one will surely piss off the other. I'd like to continue working with the drummer and maybe the guitarist.

I've never quit a band before; how should I go about this?
  2. Canadianbassman

Canadianbassman Guest

Jan 20, 2001
    i don't know,

but i'm in the same sitiuation,
  3. Call a "general meeting" and repeat EVERYTHING you said here. 3 things can happen - 1) The keyboard player will 'change his tune' (or quit - leaving the rest of your band intact) - 2) The rest of the band will side with the keyboard player and leave you no choice but to quit (but at least you've had the opportunity to let them know how you feel).
    3) You may end up with a drummer and have to look around for a guitarist.

Good luck!
  4. Just say.. change or I leave.. then try and keep the drummer and guitarist since they are what you like..
  5. Just sat that you're leaving I just quit the band that I formed the drummer took over. I was going to kick him out but the others felt that I should leave. I've just formed a new band and we have a record deal. so just leave and form a new band (preferably a better one)
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cut the brake lines on his car...just kidding. The honest direct approach is the only one that can work out. I agree with the guy who said say everything that you posted here. If the drummer and guitarist side with the cheeseball, find new ones. Good luck! -B
  7. Hey analog,maybe you should find other musicians who have the same vision and direction as you.Also,set down some guidelines beforehand.Discuss what everyone is willing to do and what they will or will not deal with, for example: bullheaded uncompromising attitudes.That is detrimental to any band.
    Xavier G had some great suggestions too.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Excellent advice!

And, I kind of like Billy Joel.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sticky situation! Been there, and it's really no fun! But, if you're not in a situation that's best for you, tensions will mount, and the band will end up fighting more than anything!:(

I'd first consider exactly what you'd like to do...would you consider working with the keyboardist if he changes his songwriting to fit the style you'd want to play? Are the talents in the band enough to put together the music and sounds you're after?

If you think it's worth continuing, then I'd consider a very diplomatic meeting, where noone is pointing fingers, and NEVER use the word "you"! That always puts people on the defensive and can't possibly have good results.

Otherwise, if you're thinking of leaving and convinced that's the best alternative, I wouldn't try to steal others away...again, bad feelings can arise, and that can have negative long-term effects. Instead, I'd talk individually to the guitarist and/or drummer, and give them your perspective. See if they're on the same page. Then you can call a meeting and know that you've got at least one person who'll leave with you, perhaps 2. In fact, if 2 people end up agreeing with you, you're not dissolving the band, just kicking out the keyboardist.

Fortunately for you, guitarists are the easiest of musicians (and I use the term loosely :D LOL) to come by! ;)
  10. OK, here's what's happened thus far...

I talked to the drummer and he seems to be in pretty much total agreement with me. We decided that we will leave together. We're planning on starting a more "rock-and-roll" kind of band with a guitarist-buddy of ours; we'll audition another guitarist.

Since my old band hasn't even agreed on a name yet, I'm going to just tell the guitarist that he'll need to find a new drummer, at least (another problem I've had with the keyboardist: he writes out complicated left-hand parts that step all over my frequency space).
  11. Good for you!!!! There's no need to have anyone step all over your frequencies.I hope you find more like minded players.Keep us posted.Mazeltov!!!
  12. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    tell Dennis DeYoung to hit the road
  13. LOL!!! Wish I would 've thought of that!!!