Quiver - ties on which side?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Ed S, Jul 20, 2021.

1. sewn side

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. rounded side

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    I'm looking to buy a 2d quiver. My current quiver has the ties on the rounded side. When I place my French bow in it, it rests with the stick in the narrow "sewn" side and the hair facing the tailpiece towards the round side.

upload_2021-7-20_12-48-24.png

It is the only quiver I've owned, but the design seemed sensible to me.

As I've looked at quivers on-line, I see many that have the ties on the narrow sewn side.
    upload_2021-7-20_12-52-45.png

Which do you prefer and why? And while we are at it - do you place your bow in your quiver with the hair towards the tailpiece or away? And, if it matters, French or German?

Attached Files:

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    I play German but French works fine too. 257BFF2B-00E9-451D-A5D4-71CAEB2DDBE4.jpeg

Fat bob and Winoman like this.
  3. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ties on the narrow/sewn side.

Away

German

4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Either way, I'd think we'd prefer the bow hair to touch nothing inside the quiver. That avoids unnecessary wear to the bow hair and also avoids wiping off rosin inside the quiver.

Mine is built with the narrow side out, away from the tailpiece, the ties are on the wide part of the quiver. On mine, the bow structure nests pretty securely inside the seam, the bow hair facing the openness of the wide part of the quiver. I didn't consciously buy it because of that, but it seems like a good way to do it. I use a French bow.

Also on mine, the ties are just leather strips with not much strength. For me they are strictly ornamental, I have weaved black zip ties through the tie holes and attach the quiver much more securely to the tailpiece that way.

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  5. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Thanks for the responses. Keep 'em coming!

That makes sense to me. As I viewed photos, I was surprised to see several with the hair towards the side of the quiver. Of course, that likely indicates nothing other than the way some photographer stuck the bow in the quiver for the photo...

My experience exactly. For those who have their quivers the opposite way (I'm looking at YOU, Carl and Greg! ;)) does the bow move around in the large rounded end?

Yes, I'm sure I'm overthinking this - as I do so many things! :D

dhergert likes this.
  6. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I might also mention, with the stiffness of the quiver's leather and the zip ties holding it to my tailpiece, the quiver also provides a secure and discrete mounting location for my piezo system's pre-amp and it's wiring (using the pre-amp clip and industrial strength velcro).

My aluminum Alcoa DB is pretty unique with its Picasso/Dali'esque steampunk look; with its custom Deuce tailpiece and the Deuce1 bridge I can comfortably get away with all of this additional hardware. But I don't think I'd be quite so inventive with a fine wooden DB and a standard tailpiece. A lot of very wise folks discourage hanging anything at all off of a standard tailpiece on a wooden DB, in an effort to maximize tone and volume.

7. Opus_Pocus

Opus_Pocus

Dec 10, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I started googling what a 2D quiver is but I think you mean 2nd

I have the Reunion Blues one in the OP. Hair towards tailpiece.

8. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Sorry, man. Just a typing shorthand I've gotten into.

Opus_Pocus likes this.
  9. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Not much.

Certainly not enough to mess up the bow hair, or to make it so that the bow isn't where it is supposed to be reach for it.

10. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Gold Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    Anyone prefer to hold bow on a stand as opposed to using the quiver?

I use a quiver, straps on sewn side, and saw Christian McBride the other night with his bow on a mic stand which has me wondering.

11. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Yup... I wonder if it was a conscious decision for him not to use a quiver, or if it's just how things worked out. (ie: borrowed bass???)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 7:09 PM
  12. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I have the Reunion Blues one you showed in the OP. Ties are on the rounded side. I attached it to the bass side of the tailpiece. I keep it from flopping around by punching a hole at the bottom sewn corner, and tying that to the endpin collar (loosely). I play German bow and I just drop it in without twisting my wrist, so the hair ends up toward the sewn seam. I don't wedge it down in there or anything; have not seen anything that indicates it's a problem.

I have no issues with the strength of the leather thongs - the quiver and the bow together hardly weigh anything.

I also keep everything loosely tied to reduce squeaking and creaking as the quiver moves with respect to the tailpiece. To be honest, I think that I'd rather not have it on there, as it does add mass and movement which could attenuate and damp tailpiece vibrations - but also to be honest, I've tried it both ways and I can't tell any difference. The convenience of having the bow right there where I want it is why I leave it on.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 11:43 AM
  13. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Port Huron, Michigan
    Ties are on the rounded side (Reunion Blues). Bow hair free of contact, German bow.

I have admittedly been hot and cold with bow quivers. Currently I use one on my jazz bass, but I do not use one with my orchestra bass.

Generally my rationale is that I want the orchestral bass to be as unencumbered and as free and open as possible. This is not as important to me with the jazz bass, which is frequently amplified.

A long time ago, another bass player made me this wire hook which clips on to the music stand shelf. It is very handy for hanging a bow in cases where I don't use a quiver. 20210722_153231.jpg 20210722_153253.jpg 20210722_153302.jpg

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021