R.A.T.M "Bombtrack" Chording help.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tony Canevaro, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Hi all,

Well, I've finally started bass lessons (yay!) and one song I am working on learning is Rage Against The Machine's Bombtrack. (my son plays it on guitar so it will be cool when I can play along with him)

I'm having some trouble with the transition in the chorus. You play open E, F#, open E then move to a chord that goes like this: Aflat on the D string/Dflat on the A string, G on the D string/C on the A string, Gflat on the D string/B on the A string.

I can play the riff smoothly (for me) up until this point. I always seem to have to pause to get the fingering set up before playing this section.

Any tips (besides more practice, of course) to help me play this more efficiently?
  2. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    I wouldn't worry about playing the 2-note "chord" in that part. At least, not until your fingers can get there quickly. In the meantime, just play the --4--3--2-- on the A string. That way, you can continue to play along with your son until your fingers learn to move to that 2-note chord spot, easier.
  3. what fingering do you use now?
  4. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Sorry for the delay, I've been spending my time practicing instead of on the 'puter.

It is coming better now but the challenge, I think,

Comes earlier in the bar where you play 0,2,0,2 on the E then up the the 4,2 on the D. From there you go back to 0,2,0 but instead of playing the "2" you play the chording. I need to start thinking ahead a bit from the "2" on the E knowing the next note is open I need to start finding the chords sooner.

I just can;t seem to get my brain to do this.... :(
  5. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I think I tried learning it the way you are trying but it was harder.. Try playing this

Try playing it like that.. I found it much easier when I was learning it.
  6. i don't think thats what he is trying to learn...

anyways tony, you are probably right, just thinking ahead...also note what postition you are playing in. i notice i play that part in second position, and that way i can quickly move up two frets come time for the chords. you'll get it in no time!
  7. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Hey Timbo,
    That doesn't look like my version of bombtrack...maybe the intro in a different phrasing?

Superbassman, thanks. Now nebie showing through here...what do you mean by "second position"? I currently "anchor" the 2nd finger on my left hand on the second fret...if that makes any sense.
  8. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    He's talking about this part Timbo

When playing this I always use the 1st finger on the second fret, so does Tim, so does everyone who knows it, I think. Just keep at it... by this time next year it should be second nature!
    Tim dawg was the first person to influence me to pick up a bass.

9. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Hey, thanks.
    My version of the song looks like this:

It sounds pretty close when I play it but my ear ain;t the greatest. I also cannot find sheet music for this song. My local shop claims it is not available.
  10. Murtz

Jun 27, 2001
    I have also always played that version tony.

Sounds good to me but you shouldnt trust my ears either :p
  11. Bass Guitar magazine has a full transcription of this tune in their February 2004 issue, and Tony's version of this particular lick matches up with their version. As for fingering, I use my index and pinky fingers for the chording, sliding them left (assuming we're talking right-handed bass) as needed.
  12. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Oh wow so I've been off this whole time. Great. I just trusted it was right since that's the version my uncle showed me.... with the ending being

So the ending's

-----2--1--0-------- ?

Thanks for the correction.
  13. That's how I play it. Sounds about right that way.

Tony, pick 2 fingers you're comfortable fretting that part with. Generally, I'd use my index to fret the A string note and pinky to fret the D string note. You might prefer using your ring finger for that one. Either way, practice just playing powerchords. Play simple riffs slowly with those kinds of chords instead of just the root notes. Basically, instead of just playing the tonic, you're playing the perfect fifth at the same time. Take a simple song and try to play it entirely that way. Or just take the song very slowly and get used to it. The idea is to get your brain to figure it out without having to think about it.
  14. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Thanks for all the help folks. Part of the challenge in the fretting is my left hand isn't very flexible yet but I really try to stay with the "one finger per fret thing" so I don;t learn any bad habits. But when I try and chord that section my index and ring finger "creep" closer together making the fretting wrong or sloppy my the last chord. Cheating and using my pinky instead of ring does make it easier...does it make it right though? I would rather play it poorly now and learn the proper method than play it well now but ingrain a bad habit that will hamper me later on.