Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R-Bass and Eshenbaugh Bass--Birds of a Feather?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Mar 31, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Here's one for you:

I traded my '83 Ken Smith yesterday for a 5-string Eshenbaugh bass with a fellow T-basser. [No good pics or comments until I get it back from Mark Eshenbaugh as there is an issue I want him look at. More on this later :meh: Anyhow, every since I saw Leon's R-bass, I wanted one. The build quality of the R-Bass was better than anything I had ever seen before. Yesterday, when I touched the Eshenbaugh, it felt just like the R-Bass--VERY SCMOOTH and RIGHT! I couldn't put it down all last night, this morning, lunch break, etc..! :bassist:

I called Mark Eshenbaugh to talk about the preamp and he asked me to send the bass to him [only three hours away] and he'll hook it up for free. I let him know how much I liked the bass and that the build quality was outstanding. I told him that the bass reminds me ALOT of an R-Bass. He laughed and said that Ray Rogers, builder of R-Basses, also studied under Carl Thompson. He remarked, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"

Mark Eshenbaugh appears to be the real deal. I called him before I traded for the bass and he assured me that he stood behind his basses 100%. He told me that if I bought the bass, he would send me a free pack of DR-strings so that the bass would be as originally built. :cool:
    [​IMG]

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you are hopeless, bro!!- ;)
    i havent had the opportunity to try Eshenbaugh- isnt Esh a different bass company? could be misleading..
    anyways, i have owned an R bass and i must say i was sorry i let it go - it platyed ridiculously easily and sounded great- a singlecut- it had gorgeous tone and THE marcus slap sound- i am about to receive another singlecut R bass for the shop- and i look forward to it- if it plays and sound all that good- i may not even sell it- but i probably will- so far, the only thing that has managed to earn a permanent home is my buckeye
    f bass- that you have to kill me for!!- good luck, bro!- peace, Adrian

3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I remember that bass. The Chuckster lent it to me for a while... That bass is smooth. A lot of little details just make it really great. Top notch construction. Easiest playing bass I've ever played. It just looks cool...I especially liked the black lines he puts in between each layer of wood. Nice touch. The back plate without screws is also quite clever.
    Nice guy too. He's got some chops !

Congrats !

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    How many permanent basses have we both sold? ;)
    Me too. :)

5. No, he means that "Esh" is a different builder than "Eshenbaugh"--"Esh" is a European company, with no connection to either Carl Thompson or Mark Eshenbaugh.

Mike

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i meant i thought Esh and Eshenbaugh were two different companies -
    I know Ray worked with CT -
    so, you kept one of the Smiths?

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Mike- we must have been typing the same thing simultaneously!-

8. Yep, I'm just a little quicker every once in a while. (That, and I like to be a know-it-all smartypants whenever I get the opportunity ;) )

Mike

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    GOTCHA! I made the edits. I was using "Esh" as an abbreviation for "Eshenbaugh" You're right, "Esh" is not the same company as "Eshenbaugh". Good catch!

Maybe I'm the only one that didn't they both, Mark and Ray, worked for Carl Thompson.

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I still have two Ken Smith basses. The '83 was killer but a bit too chunky for me. I traded it to a T-Basser that has a 12lb mahogany G&L as a primary bass. The '83 Smith should fit in as his light weight. So you're getting a SC R-Bass? Send me a pic...;)
    The current lineup:
    [​IMG]

11. Nope--I didn't know that Mark Eshenbaugh had worked with CT until you said so!

Mike

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    A pic:
    [​IMG]

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    :eek:

*drool*

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    As soon as I saw "Eshenbaugh" and JRBrown" I knew that '83 Smith was history !!!;)

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    the back of that bass is stunning!!