Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R Bass - Good or Fodera Knock-Off

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_Brunhaver, Jul 14, 2001.

What do you guys think of R Basses?

Poll closed Sep 22, 2003.
  1. The Real Deal

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. Bad Fodera Knock-Off

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. good fodera knock-off

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. carrot salad

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Hi Guys, though R Basses seem to be nearly identical copies of Fodera Emperor/Imperial body styles down to the headstock and everything they still catch my eye. I have never played one and was wondering if anyone here had. The woodworking and electronics look very good. This bass at bass alone has some especially nice exotic woods. http://www.bassalone.com/rbassbr5.html I currently own a Roscoe SKB-3006 and thoug the bass sounds amazing, I would like to trade/sell it and get a 5 string.

-Chris

2. whenever i see a fodera, or even that r bass i need, no i have to fix it :)

3. ok.. the right side of the next looks sweet, i love a bass with lotsa knobs, but the left side spoils it.. it looks like a friggin' hunchback :(

4. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I have played R Basses before. I have even posted about them about 4 months ago and no one replyed. I am glad people are hearing about them and seeing them now. I think they are one of the nicest basses out there. The guy that makes them used to build for Carl Thompson. So he knows what he is doing when it comes to building basses. And yes it does look like the fodera's. And who cares if it does...no one is original anymore. Every design is pulled from something....some the very same design as the original (Sadowsky, modulus, and all the jazz bass makers...Fender). I don't want to debate on this issue. That is what I think

I know a few players that have sold their fodera's for the R Bass. They like them that much. And they are cheaper than the fodera. I personaly think they are just as nice or even better than the fodera. I have played a 5 and 6 string and they are both wonderful. I would love to pick up that bass at BassAlone. It looks beautiful and looks like it would play very well.

Check them out...there are some other dealers that sell them. I think you would like them.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Brad :D

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Yeah, yeah, I remember that thread...:D

8. I have had the opportunity to play about 5 of Ray's basses - they are good basses, but you get what you pay for. There is a difference in quality between an R-Basse and Fodera. Let's look at it this way... I have never purchased an R-bass after playing it - I was close with one of the single cutaways, but went with an Elrick. I have, however, purchased 2 Fodera basses (like I could afford another !). Outside of looks, you can't really compare the two when it comes to playability.

I do believe that Ray makes good basses, as I believe that the Merc. 300 series is a good car - but you can't really compare it to a 600 series. On a slightly different note... I do LOVE the HAZ Lab preamp he uses !

WARNING: There is an R-Bass 5 with a Chestnut top that has been on sale at a lot of different places... do not buy this bass... trust me on this one ! Here it is:

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Im really beggining to believe that when it comes to custom made instruments...
    You really get what you pay for.

10. Hello,
    I have been able to play most everything that is out there and i can truely say that nothing compares to the beauty and playability of Fodera basses.Everybody is copying their designs because Fodera's are at the forefront of Bass design.
    p e a c e.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    So how much better is a Fodera compared to the Elrick that you went with?

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    There are basses that compare in both beauty and playability, I know, I own a Fodera Emporer 5, the Alembic Series II, and the Smith BT 5, I own are definitely in the same league on all points, though the Series II has the edge sonically due to the extremely versatile electronics.

13. hello,
    smith and alembic. both very nice basses.I have found that the alembic basses particularily series 1 and 2 lack a certain balance when strapped on.also access to the higher frets is somewhat limited.secondly,vinnie fodera used to build for ken smith so all the good things about a smith are present in a fodera.also i have found that smith basses tend to get lost in a loud mix.Both nice basses though.
    p e a c e.

14. I actually like the Elrick better, but only because of the sound. I have an Emperor Deluxe 5-String and a Custom 5 from Elrick. And while I like the feel of the Fodera, I like the tone of the Elrick. So that's the deal-eo - for me anyway.

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've talked with Ray a few times and he seems like a good guy trying to make a living, something you can't blame him for.

However, I do feel that the single cut-away style BASS is Vinnie's thing. Yes, I know single cutaway guitars have been around for a long time, but I think we all assosiate the single cutaway bass with Fodera and Anthony Jackson.

Then when you add a Chestnut top to it, you're adding insult to injury.

Personally, I'm tired of seeing Fodera rip-offs. I've seen plenty of single-cutaways that are clearly bottom feeding off of something they did not create.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Most people may associate the single cut with Vinnie and AJ. I've always dug them, from the old Les Paul Recording basses to my Hagstorm Big Swede to the 50's Kay "Howlin' Wolf" hollowbody I had for years. I seem to recall upper joints being extended to increase stability on some basses before the Fodera. I don't recall when Ken Lawrence came out with the Brase.

Given that, what's come to be known today as a single cut is derived from the Fodera IMO. Like it or not, Ray's basses are copies. He has come out with a new headstock. From what I understand his prime market is bassists who want the Fodera vibe without the hefty cost of admission. There seems to be a demand so...

Rob Elrick has a single cut model...it looks like an Elrick. Chris Stambaugh has two single cut body styles, neither of which looks like a Fodera. It's possible to come up with a single cut that doesn't bring Fodera to mind. The opposite is true, too. Different strokes...

BTW I'm not ragging on R basses, just stating what I think should be the obvious;)

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Although I find them to be nice basses, from a looking stand point, being as I've never played one, I still think they are Fodera knock offs. Plus, I know the history, but that's neither hear nor there. He's trying to make a living by offering another viable choice in the high end bass market, and you can't fault him for that. However, I'd never buy one without playing it. He could be a very good, but right now, he's not in my "buy just by seeing it" category.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    (serious announcer voice)

...and our hero woodchuck falls prey to the "ancient poll thread bumped to the top by a vote" ploy.

will he survive? will the conversation that he continued be remembered? what is the sound of one hand clapping?

tune in next week...

:D :D

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D :D

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md