R-basses, what do you guys think of em?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Been looking at this bass for a while, and heard nothing but good about it. I recently spoke to two guys one of whom said you could do better for the money, the other said it just wasn't worth it. Here is the bass. 1700 used. 33in scale, chestnut top, alder body, bolt on neck, maple neck and fretboard with paduak runners. Electronics are unkown, the site says Pope, but he's exclusive to Fodera- or so I thought. Here's a pic. Just to tell you, my dream bass is a Fodera Monarch 4 string, so any other suggestions along those lines would be great.
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Come on man didn't you already have a thread on this? ;)

Try doing a search for R basses first that might turn up some of what you are looking for.
  3. I've already done the search and the other thread is under Salas basses, so I figured why not start one under the right Title. Its just somewhat worrying to have people put down a purchase your making, so I wanna know my options. (P.S.- if you'd like to let go of one of your Fodera's for around 2000 my problem is solved)
  4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Heh...for 2 grand? Thats not even half of what they cost ;)

Anyway, who is putting down your purchase? The thing is if you wait too long someone else might snag it. You have a three day trial period so if you don't like it you can send it back and get your money back no problem.

I have to warn you that *no matter what* you buy there will be people who put it down. There are people like that everywhere, so you basically should just rely on your own judgement.
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    it could be a haz lab pre rather than pope. that bass looks pretty dope to me, but ive never played an r. if i had any money though, i would have picked up that 6er that was just on the bay
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    well, that one certainly looks good! I'd give it a whirl for sure.

Thing is, I guess they're not widely distributed yet. Not many folks get a chance to play them if that's the case. I'd love to try one out, but doubt if I'll ever see one. So I'm guessing you might not get that many 'first-hand' experiences.

I have noticed that these basses tend to spark a bit of debate over the homage vs copy factor, but they look pretty good to me. Of course, that means very little having never played one.

Looks like you'll just have to try it and see if it suits you. Hey, that's what we're supposed to do anyway, huh? :)
  7. I just did some reading over of all the previous threads, R-basses do sound like great basses, they look great as well. I think though Im going to wait and see if any other R-basses pop up online. Also Im going to use the fact that I live in NY and go out to boutique shops and talk to custom builders- maybe even Ray and see what I can do. Thanks alot for your help.

P.S.- If ya see any 4 string monarchs around for 2000 gimme a buzz. In the mean time I'll just keep dreamin.
  8. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Here's a link to Ray's site which is basically just some photos and his e-mail. I've dealt with Ray before when I got my bolt-on and he's a really nice guy. http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/rbasses/
  9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

So are you going to pass on the one you were thinking about? I personally think it's a good opportunity. But it is always best to do what feels right to you.
  10. Im not gonna pass, but I am going to think. I contacted Ray at R-basses and am waiting on an e-mail. I'll see what the man has to say about it.