Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Feb 25, 2002.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I posted earlier about my new bass I ordered. Has anyone here played or owned an R Bass? I owned one briefly, and it was incredible, just not the woods I wanted.....any opinions?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There were some posts a while back where we kicked them around a bit. I responded to this question in your other post, but I'll say this: the overall consensus was that some people liked 'em better than the Foderas and Carl Thompsons they were often compared with.:D

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I haven't played a lot of the most highly regarded basses. But of all the basses I've played over the decades, a Ray Rogers was clearly the best at any price. The one I tried turned me on to cocobolo. It was easily the best playing bass I ever tried. Soundwise, I could have closed my eyes and thought I was in the studio!

Obviously, this is isn't cocobolo, but, in style, it looked like this R Bass -

[​IMG]

I think he does wooden pickups covers if they're spec'd. Funny how many of have sort of a Fodera body style, yet, he worked in Carl Thompson's shop for several years. I'm amazed by how relatively low-priced used Rogers are! :eek:

There's a review of one at Bass Gear Review http://www.bgra.net/reviews/dean--tchechia---r--bass-5-35--scale-1-rvw.html. (For some reason, the reviewer mentions "Dean" as the manufacturer? :confused: The reviewer says he can put you in touch with Ray Rogers if you email him. The Rogers website that people have talked about a myth, AFIK.

4. PABass

PABass

May 20, 2001
    Allentown, Pa
    I own two of these and one Fodera, I just sold my other Fodera. They are great basses, cheaper than Foderas, and I like the Haz Lab pre -amps they use as well. I am actually selling my 5 string R Bass with the birds eye maple neck if you are interested, e-mail me at jlv1030@aol.com and I'll send you pix.

5. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i just got my rbass 5 string single cut today. it's a bad, bad bass. it has a superb feel. the haz lab preamp gets a little squirrely if you crank the trim pots for the pickups. the burl maple looks 100 times better in person. i'll let everyone know how it does in the long run.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats!

So...do you mean bad as in...bad? Or, do you mean bad as in...killer???

7. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    not bad meaning bad, but bad meaning good.