1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

R/C: Show Your Radio Controlled Vehicles!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Maestas, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I have been getting back into R/C again after nearly a fifteen year hiatus and I noticed that it hasn't been discussed here very much, if at all (at least not that I'm aware of).

I had some cheap R/C cars and trucks when I was a kid but never got into racing of any kind, mostly due to the prohibitive prices and the relative scarcity of clubs and tracks at the time. The hobby is bigger than ever now and I thought it would be cool to seek out some new vehicles and tracks to practice and race at. The closest Mini-Z track that I am aware of is in southwest Staten Island. Any New Yorkers know of other good tracks?

I recently bought a 1:28 scale Mini-Z racer by Kyosho. The other giant in the Mini world is XMods by Radio Shack. Some of you may already have one..or two. Two clones of the Kyosho have recently showed up, one made by iWaver and another one made by Firelap. The iWaver, despite it's terrible iName, seems to be a great little bit of kit, though. Being a clone has its advantages and many of the iWaver parts are direct fits for the Kyosho. 3Racing, iWavers' parts brand offers lots of cool aluminum parts that Kyosho doesn't make and that's all the better. Snobbery pervades society and of course, there are those Kyosho die-hards that will ceaselessly flame Xmod owners and vice versa. With these new clones to pick on the fecal frenzy is at its peak and in some particular forums, it's enough to make you leave.

The majority of serious racers in large forums (like mini-zracer.com) say they stick to their Kyoshos when they're actually competing and only use their iWavers at home but there is an increasing number of drivers who are disguising their iWavers as Kyoshos on the track :D, mainly to prove that they are worthy race cars and also to meter out a certain amount of embarassment to snobby racers. I don't buy any of the branding crap. It's a product! Like instruments and other all other manner of equipment, it's not how much the thing costs, it's what you do with it, right? They have reached the same conclusion that we bassists have come to reach: The driver (player) is more important than the kit (bass). Some of the more experienced and open-minded racers seem to get that point and they remind me of some of the more open-minded folks here which is awesome! :)
    They tend to dabble in a little bit of everything and would much rather have fun than sweat the small stuff.

Despite their small size I'm quite impressed at the performance of this new Kyosho right out of the box. It's an MR-02 MM model with a 98mm wheelbase and comes with the new 3030 FETs which are supposed to possess lower internal resistance than the ones they were using previously. The new FETs can handle much more current and afford higher motor performance.

I bought a Ready-Set kit from AtomicMods.com and got a few hop-up parts (mostly for the front suspension and steering) as well as a second body (an Enzo Ferrari test car). I got Atomic's aluminum steering knuckles 1º, alum. tie rod 0º and thicker front/rear racing springs. Also replaced the cheap plastic steering servo gears with Delrin ones and then lowered the lowered the front end a little bit with some spacers. I made sure to drive the car as much as I could in between upgrades so I could map the differences. The aluminum knuckles, tie rod and springs tightened up the front end considerably and it's much easier to control. This thing screams! Even on the 50+ foot straightaway in my apartment I have to be careful not to hit the walls! I can't imagine what it would be like with a 2x3 FET stack, a modified motor and lithium batteries like what so many racers are using today!

Although I have focused on the Mini-Z in this post, I want to hear about your R/C vehicles no matter what they are. I've seen some little electric helicopters at thinkgeek.com that look really cool. I also like nitro cars and trucks, tanks, boats and planes, too.

Here are some photos of my Mini-Z:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fodera6/sets/72157601678524836/

Some links I've found to be of interest:
    ThinkGeek - http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/
    Atomic Mods - http://www.atomicmods.com
    Mini-Z Racer.com - http://www.minizracer.com
    Toy East - http://www.toyeast.com/v3/index.asp
    Tower Hobbies - http://www.towerhobbies.com
    HobbyTron - heard lots of bad things about them
    Horizon Hobby - http://www.horizonhobby.com
    Shop.TinyRC.com - http://shop.tinyrc.com/home.php

I know there are thousands and thousands of vids regarding RC but I'm just gonna post a few clips here to start off.

Adam Moore practicing (1/12 scale car) - http://youtube.com/watch?v=JS-aCYLBy5E
    1/5 RC Ducati - http://youtube.com/watch?v=CTjGUSz5Cvo
    4yo Justin Chi with heli - '

118ss.

125ss.

133ss.

138ss.

Alright, let's see your RCs!

2. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Anyone?

3. back in the early 90s i r/c raced. carbon fiber lto chassis, billet motor bulkhead with heatsink, titanium a arms and tie rods with heim joints. tekin electronics. always a black chevrolet body with the number 22 colored in grafite. the car was alway mean and clean but i was a 3rd-4th place driver a big events. could never win the big one. then i got into r/c boats. fun at the water and an excellent way to meet the ladies. got into racin boats and for some reason i won alot of events, still cant figure how that happened. had a bunch of fun over the years with r/c. sorry no pictures though.

4. Yeah, I used to do r/c for fun, I had subscriptions to all the rags, had a chain-drive 4wd turbo optima buggy, futaba controller, thing was stupid fast and unbreakable (well, the bodies would always crack around the clips..... but it was fun to come up with new designs....

I tried helicopters once. I forget the model, but it was just short of 500 bucks and was a "starter" model. INSANELY hard to fly. Crashed it second time out. Sucked real bad.

5. Had a Tamiya Grasshopper way back, followed by a Team Associated RC10T2. Then I got into music...and well...my money can only stretch so far. LOL.

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Do slot car's count? I have a few...

7. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
  8. I'd love a gas-powered R/C tank, like a WW2 model, maybe a Sherman or a King Tiger or T-34.... Something maybe 2 feet long and really solid... I wonder if they make such a thing.... Supposedly there's an large amazing R/C shop just a couple minutes from my home; maybe I should stop in there sometime and see what they have.

9. I got one of the xmod cards last year to play with around the dorm a bit, and I didn't really know of their upgrade potential.

After looking around a bit on the internet, I saw some pretty awesome stuff you can do to these little RC cars, but I ended up saving all the money for my new amp and never got to upgrade mine at all. Maybe this year I will get around to ripping it apart and squeeze some power out of it.

10. i had my picture in the r/c car action nov. 93 issue. son of a gun. fergot about that. thanks mon rom for bringin up the mags.

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    sorry no pics right now but i used to drive:

Traxxas T maxx

Traxxas E maxx (with brushless way before anyone else, damn that thing was fast)

nitro 4-tec pro

that hpi or whatever kit with the central drive shaft (used the old stuff from the 4tec)

then i came back on the scene and bought a traxxas revo, didn't do much with it.

if any cool TB brosefs want any of the above cars (in various states of disrepair/disassembly) they're just chillin' here.

12. I used to really want a Nitro 4tec, but then bass came along...

I think now that I have a job that pays decent, I'll get back into it and actually purchase one. Good thing for ebay, cause $450 to get started with a new one and all the associated extra parts is a tad much.

13. My brother is right into that stuff.

HPI-Savage-SS-4.6.

He has one of those, but with about everything on his modified now. Its a piece of high pitched noisy kit (kind of like a guitarist)!

14. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Cool! Thanks for writing in, everyone.
    Hope everyone's holiday weekend was great.
    I would've wrote in sooner but I was away from the 'tron' as my friend calls it.

!Rob! that thing is awesome! I want one! :D

15. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Wow, you're serious about the vehicles?
    I might have to take you up on that!
    PM sent.

16. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

I have one of those.

17. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    That's why I got a Mini-Z for now. It's no nitro but it's got some thunder.

18. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I thought the hobby died actually. I remember going to my club and getting 100 people there no problem. My club actually held the 1/12 scale, I think North America championoships. It has to be over 9 years ago now. Met Lett, Clausen, Johnson, all the big names at the time. I started in off road with an RC10 and kept buying more as needed to compete. Had a Losi truck, an RC10LSS, probably 7 or 8 cars in all. Then I got married and bought a house. Had to come up with $10,000 in 6 months. Stopped racing and never started again. What used to be 100 people dwindled down to 20. You don't hear too much about the hobby anymore. I thought RC Car Action went to bimonthly, but I could be wrong.

And as far as what car to get, I went Associated because when I broke something I could always find the replacement parts for it. Maybe Kyosho could have competed, but you never saw the parts for them.

I was in the hobby from about 87 to 03.

19. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    [​IMG]

20. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

Yeah, I am starting out in r/c. This is my main heli, a beginner's rig that I have modded a bit (new tail boom) now that I am pretty comfy flying it. More importantly, I'm pretty comfy FIXING it as blade and skid breakages, among other things, are very common. It mostly flies indoors, it is very very sensitive to breezes. I've flown it outside in my yard early AM on VERY calm mornings.

CIMG1182.

CIMG1183.

I bought a larger one that can fly outdoors in a breeze, a Falcon 3D (also electric) that has a tail rotor and 3D capability, but it beat itself up on my workbench the first day and I'm still changing parts and trying to get it running for its first flight.....:bawl: