Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R.Cocco Strings - Anyone tried ? New string syndrome ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by martijn_2m, Sep 26, 2005.

1. martijn_2m

martijn_2m

Aug 23, 2005
    Netherlands
    Recently I had to replace strings on my Fender MM Jazzbass (4s). I went to the local music shop, only to find out they didn't have the DR Sunbeam that I had wanted to try.

Instead they advised me to try the R.Cocco 4s set. Many people had moved from DR to R.Cocco according to them (R. Cocco was affiliated wih DR before starting his own company I believe).

Yesterday I put the strings on and I was terribly dissapointed by the sound. Even brand new DR's that I had in the past sounded better than these. A very metally, harpsichord type sound with weak mid and a sh*tload of highs. Even after some good playing and stretching the sound was still bad.

Ofcourse, if you're into a very (VERY) modern steel/metal type sound you might like it. But I didn't. Am I the only one, or do any of you have other experiences with R.Cocco?

.. can't wait to find DR Sunbeams in the Netherlands or even move to flatwounds for the N'degeocello type sound I am after ..

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sunbeams are nickel wound, and it sounds like you got R.Cocco stainless. R.Coccos are very bright even as stainless strings go, borderline clanky, but sound great in a mix ... and they have very solid pitch definition. R.Coccos are my choice for slap style.

If you are going for a me'shell type sound, the store frankly sold you the worst possilbe set of strings they could. You should get some sadowsky, lakaland, or laBella flatwounds!

3. martijn_2m

martijn_2m

Aug 23, 2005
    Netherlands
    .. ah, that confirms it .. I was afraid of the 'stainless' steel and trusted the store guy (who has been my friend for 25 years .. arrrggh). The Labella and other brands are very hard to find over here in the Netherlands.

4. You can get Labella flatwounds in Nederland :smug:

http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RALBD/1530.html

There you go. I ordered a few Thomastik Infeld strings today and I've got an e-mail that they were sended to me with the post today. And if you know that guy from the store.. isn't there a deal to work out with him? I mean: he totally advised you wrong. I know that they are strings etc, but..