1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

R.I.P. Bill Walsh

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jared Lash, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I don't know how many people will care about this, but Bill Walsh passed away today at 75 after a long fight with leukemia. Being a Niner fan I have always greatly admired the guy.

In my humble opinion he was the greatest football coach I've ever seen or ever will see.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Never heard of him, but RIP and adios all the same.

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    As a Cowboys fan, I hated the Niners and Walsh at the time as you could probably understand. But I did respect him. R.I.P.

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    As a lifer of the 49ers who was born in the middle of the dynasty (85), Bill Walsh has always been a sort of mythic figure. If/when the 49ers get a new stadium, there needs to be a big bronze statue out front of Walshe.

5. I'm not a Niners' fan, but I am a football fan, and I was very sad to hear of Walsh's passing. One of the great football minds, without question.

R.I.P.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah I understand that completely. I've only just recently been able to admit how much I liked the way Troy Aikman played the game. At the time I couldn't conceive of paying "those hated Cowboys" a compliment.

I think people use the term genius far too often as it relates to sports, but in Walsh's case I think it fit. I don't think anyone can even argue with me when I say that he revolutionized the game. How many teams today still run some version of the WCO?

Check out this coaching tree to see his influence on the guys that are head coaches today. An amazing legacy in the world of football.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I agree, he literally changed the game and had a decade and a half of followers, many of which won championships. I can't think of any coaches in ANY sport that have had that kind of effect. Maybe Jacque Lemare with the neutral zone trap. I mean who else does the triangle offense? He really changed the whole concept of the forward pass.

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1.

I hated the niners, but respected Walsh enormously. I was at Stanford when he came back for that brief period after the NFL, and he was rightly revered during that time.

A huge number of today's NFL coaches worked under Walsh, too. He was an innovator and an icon.

9. spidey4549

spidey4549

Sep 22, 2006
    Montgomery, WV
    I'm a big Niners fan and Walsh will be missed. I agree that he's brilliant and he brought football to a whole new level in many aspects.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was watching the Monday night preseason game between San Francisco and Denver, and it made me think of the Late, great Bill Walsh. One thing that really meant something to me was the knowledge that he instituted a a program for training minority coaches. Products of that program are Dennis Green, Tony Dungy, and Lovie Smith, just to name a few.

Anytime a person on top takes the time to help others, especially from a group he could have easily ignored, that person derserves special recognition. I think his was an example all of us can follow, and not just on racial matters. It is great to take the time to help those who are normally ignored or forgotten.:)