R.I.P. Captain Turbo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by budman, Sep 20, 2006.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/Builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Also known as Turbs. He was one of our family cats. Barely a year old. We picked him at the local SPCA the day after Thanksgiving last year along with another kitten who my son named Tom. They were both three months old when we got them. This morning Turbo didn't show up for breakfast. I installed a cat door so he and Tom could have free reign of the place. We have a big yard. It's the perfect cat environment. I thought that Turbs was just out doing his cat thing, whatever that is. I work from home so as the day went on I began to worry that I hadn't seen him. I called and searched repeatedly for him throughout the day, but with no luck. Tom was hanging around and he followed me as I looked for Turbo. When my wife got home from work I had to go out for a while. She decided she would do some searching too. She found poor Turbo's remains in a field next to some woods that are across the street from our house. When I got home she showed me what she found. I say remains, but it was just dozens of clumps of his pretty white fur. There have been reports of a cougar in our area. There have been sitings and someone with a small goat herd has reported them being attacked and killed. There was a short write-up in our local news letter about it. We think this is what happened to Turbo. My wife tried to call the game warden, but they were closed. We'll call again tomorrow.

He will be sadly missed by us and I'm sure by his adopted brother Tom. He was a great cat with a lot of personality. Kind of a Garfield. Here he is after we first brought him home and later fully grown in his favorite position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First the raccoons and now a cougar. I've had enough of wild animals for while.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    What a beautiful cat.

Sorry to hear :(

-mark

3. Sorry for your loss, budman.

Mike :(

4. Reminds me of a little guy we called Eight-Ball(one white gonad, one black). Used to sleep in the gutter, up against parked car tires. He didn't do that for long. :bawl: Our current three are all 16+ years old & gimpy in one way or another, so I imagine I may soon know your pain for real...

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Poor, baby.. :(

6. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Sorry for your loss, Bud

My cat is 19, 3 years younger than me. It'll be a sad day when she goes.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sorry for your loss. :(

8. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have a dog and a cat and too many fish to count them.
    I know how you feel.
    I'm really sorry

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm sorry to hear about that, a very cute cat, :(

10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    :(

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

:( R.I.P.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Turbo - you know what they say - live fast, die young ...:(

13. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    sorry for your loss Bud....It really sucks losing a pet, no matter the circumstances. Best to you and yours.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's terrible, bud. i'm sorry to hear that.

15. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/Builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Thanks, folks. Turbo and Tom were a gift from my mother. When Linny and I got married I couldn't bring my last cat to the UK with me so I left her with my mother. I lived out in the boonies and the cat had the run of five acres. She couldn't handle living in my mother's apartment and ran away one day while I was in England never to be seen again. My mother felt really bad about letting her escape. It took my mom a few years after we moved back to the states, but last year for my birthday she gave me a voucher from the SPCA. They run 2 for 1 specials on cats and that's how we ended up with Turbs and Tom.

It's sinking in a little bit more today. Kind of rough seeing a pile of fur that used to be your pet. My son and wife took it real hard last night.

We'll do our best to find Tom a little brother.

16. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    Man, that's aweful. Hopefully the game wardens will take the time to investigate the cougar possibility. Predatory animals in an urban setting can be very bad.

17. Very sorry to hear it, Bud. I'm an animal nut, and can empathize with you. :(

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just took another look at this thread... what a beautiful baby! :( I'm obviously a Rottie person, but I am a cat person at heart... both my wife and I are allergic to some cats, so we don't have anymore.

Sorry for your loss, budman. :(

19. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I hate to hear that, Bud. I hope Linny and your son are able to find some resolve in this. I hope Tom will take it ok, as well. Pets always have that sense when something is amiss.

20. Bud, man, that really sucks, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

:(

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021