1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

R.I.P. Dave Mirra

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  2. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    This is terrible news

3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Today... no this year, has sucked. Maurice White died today too.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I live in the same town. It's pretty weird around here. I didn't hang out at his house or anything but we have talked at shows in the past and ran into each other socially on occasion. We know a lot of the same people. Rumors are flying.

There's going to be a press conference here at 9 a.m. I'll try to swing by with an update if any news comes of it.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Oh no way... that's a shame.

I too played a bunch of Dave Mirra's BMX...

6. Even though I was a skateboarder growing up, all those guys were hero's for me (except for the inline skaters...) and watching them all push the limits of not only the sport but of what a human could do with enough skill, practice, and determination while risking life and limb was beyond inspiring, and Dave Mirra was one of those at the forefront of it all. Truly a shame. RIP Dave.

Man, I don't watch tv and don't have a Facebook account or anything so I always tend to hear about this stuff here, and it's to the point where it's almost a little nerve racking every time I check in. Its been pretty crazy over these past few months, so many huge names. Can we please get a break now?

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Friggin' roller bladers showing up at the skatepark. Go build your own parks!!

-Mike

ShredderMaximus likes this.
  8. Yeah, I definitely bought into the whole rivalry thing and it's stupid now, but at the time:

Skateboarding= punk rock
    Bmx= thrash metal
    Rollerblading= whatever your little sister was into.

9. Oh no he was young. Damn. RIP man. Entertained millions. Epic life.

10. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    That's sad news, depressions no joke that man was a legend and he had a wife and two kids. I feel bad for his family it's hard enough losing someone but has to be harder knowing they took their own life and chose to go.

Hope it's peaceful on the other side Dave Mirra RIP

11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I knew Dave had drawn several other pro BMX riders to this town. I didn't realize until I heard on the news this morning that 20..... TWENTY..... pro riders live here. And Dave kicked all of that off for sure. He'll leave a big hole in that community around here for sure.

12. Off-Beat

Off-Beat

Dec 8, 2014
    Vienna, AUT
    Atleast awareness grew so much that depression doesn't automatically make you an outcast anymore - atleast from the outside - and if someone decides to end his/her life their families aren't condemned anymore.

13. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Major bummer. I was a big fan back in the day.

14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    WTIB is the local news Radio station here. You can stream them on the Tune in radio app or Web site. Press conference is supposed to start in a few.

Edit: Never mind. I was told they would stream it. It seems they are not.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I remember watching him on TV and being in awe at some of the stuff he was doing. Such a shame.

This year has really sucked.

16. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    RIP

17. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Damn. Too young. RIP.

18. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I have never been on a skateboard or bmx bike in my life, nor do i know anyone who participates in these activities. But Dave Mirra and Tony Hawk WERE the X Games to me. Their skill level made me take these sports seriously, made me want to watch more of things I knew nothing about and had never cared about. They didn't just put their sports on the mainstream map, they put the X Games on the map, period.

Dave never knew this, and now he never will, but he expanded my world. He was my favorite X Gamer by far. I would have fielded that "any hour of the day or night" call from him as if we were real-life friends. I am so sorry he didn't give anyone that chance.

I pray somehow there is comfort for those who knew and loved him.

ShredderMaximus and MJ5150 like this.
  19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    He was an icon. I was always more into skateboarding, but even in those circles you knew and respected Dave for who he was and what he was doing.

ShredderMaximus likes this.
  20. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    After countless concussions, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy takes it's toll.
    The blood/brain barrier is strong yet delicate.