1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

R.I.P. Draylen Mason

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Carl Hillman, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Teenage Music Student Reportedly Killed in Austin Package Explosion: 'an Outstanding Son'

"The teenage boy killed in a package explosion in Austin, Texas, earlier this week has reportedly been identified as 17-year-old Draylen Mason.

Austin police previously said that a teenage boy was one of two casualties in a package explosion on Old Fort Hill Drive before 7 a.m. Monday. The boy was killed and a woman in her 40s, believed to be the teen’s mother, was injured.

Mason had been accepted to the University of Texas’ Butler School of Music, school spokesman J.B. Bird told the Statesman.

Mason played the principal double bass at the Austin Youth Orchestra, was principal bassist for Austin Soundwaves and a bassist for the Interlochen Center for the Arts, according to his Facebook."

image.

Very sad that a promising, young bassist's life has been cut short. All speed to the Austin Police Department in finding the lunatic who did this.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Any murder is a tragedy . . . this one all the more so.

Condolences to his family and friends.

3. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please. Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Sam Sherry and Carl Hillman like this.
  4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Acoustic USA endorser
    A close friend of mine worked with Austin Soundwaves and knew Draylen well. He was a great musician and a stellar young man.

marcox and Carl Hillman like this.
  6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Apparently, he wanted to be a neurosurgeon and could play the Vanhal this well:

Clearly, society lost something bigger usual here. The whole thing is tragic.

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I was just coming here to post this. I'm happy that you beat me to it. The very least we can do is memorialize this young man in the doublebass community.

gerry grable and Carl Hillman like this.
  8. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    A colleague of mine runs a childrens' theatre in Austin and knew him since grade school. She says he was always a standout as a child and young man. A tragedy.

Carl Hillman likes this.
  9. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Found on HuffPo

Draylen Mason died without knowing he had accomplished one of the biggest goals of his life.

The 17-year-old bass player was killed two weeks ago by a package bomb left outside his Austin home.

At the time of his death, he was waiting to see if he had been admitted into the prestigious Oberlin Conservatory of Music in Ohio. Turns out he did make it: Mason was one of 130 students admitted into the school this fall out of 1,500 applicants, according to CNN.
    Mason, an aspiring neurosurgeon and black belt martial artist, was killed March 12 when the bomb exploded in his East Austin home, according to USA Today.

Mason had been preparing for a morning workout with his mother when it happened. Mason’s mom used a knife to open a package that had been left on their doorstep. Mason “kind of shielded her and it killed him instantly,” his cousin Mark Glover told The New York Times.

His mother, whose name has not been released, was also injured in the blast and hospitalized.

Carl Hillman likes this.
  10. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    There's already a thread on this very sad topic:
    R.I.P. Draylen Mason

*Edit* Thanks to the mods for merging the two threads, so we can have a single spot to honor this young man.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  11. johndb

johndb Bass is the Place! Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Illinois
    Speechless....I have no words to describe the breadth of this tragedy.

Carl Hillman likes this.
  12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    RIP Draylen....

Sorry a sick person took away your chance to change the world...

It's sad when anyone passes... But more so when a young person passes...

Thank you God for your blessing of 53 years so far

Carl Hillman likes this.
  13. Tonysuarezbass

Tonysuarezbass Supporting Member

Very sad. My care to his friends and family.

Carl Hillman likes this.