1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

R.I.P. Draylen Mason

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Carl Hillman, Mar 13, 2018 at 10:36 PM.

1. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Teenage Music Student Reportedly Killed in Austin Package Explosion: 'an Outstanding Son'

"The teenage boy killed in a package explosion in Austin, Texas, earlier this week has reportedly been identified as 17-year-old Draylen Mason.

Austin police previously said that a teenage boy was one of two casualties in a package explosion on Old Fort Hill Drive before 7 a.m. Monday. The boy was killed and a woman in her 40s, believed to be the teen’s mother, was injured.

Mason had been accepted to the University of Texas’ Butler School of Music, school spokesman J.B. Bird told the Statesman.

Mason played the principal double bass at the Austin Youth Orchestra, was principal bassist for Austin Soundwaves and a bassist for the Interlochen Center for the Arts, according to his Facebook."

Very sad that a promising, young bassist's life has been cut short. All speed to the Austin Police Department in finding the lunatic who did this.
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Any murder is a tragedy . . . this one all the more so.

Condolences to his family and friends.
  3. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please. Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Sam Sherry and Carl Hillman like this.
  4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    RBrownBass, marcox and Carl Hillman like this.
  5. mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Acoustic USA endorser
    A close friend of mine worked with Austin Soundwaves and knew Draylen well. He was a great musician and a stellar young man.
    marcox and Carl Hillman like this.
  6. damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Apparently, he wanted to be a neurosurgeon and could play the Vanhal this well:

Clearly, society lost something bigger usual here. The whole thing is tragic.