Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R.I.P. - Father of Rock

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 1, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sam Phillips died yesterday at age 80 as a result of respiratory problems. He was considered by many in the biz as the "Father of Rock."

He helped make the blues happen by giving such Beale Street artists as B.B. King a break, after picking cotton in the fields of his sharecropper father and learned the beauty of the blues from his black co-workers. And he took a gamble on a kid named Elvis Presley who came to his Memphis studio to record a single for his mother.

For anyone who doesn't know the magnitude of the man's impact on music and culture, check out a couple of decent articles - http://www.kansas.com/mld/eagle/6432519.htm

- OR -

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030731/APN/307311119&cachetime=5

2. Thanks, Rickbass.:)

Those were two pretty good articles.

RCA bought Elvis' contract for $35,000 - :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is what I like about Talkbass: you find out stuff you'd probably never hear about anywhere else. :)

Mike

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Damn shame, ain't it Mike??? We might all be like those numbskulls scratching turntables if it wasn't for Phillips.

4. Words fail me! :D :D :D

Mike :cool:

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Rest in peace Sam Phillips. I think it was because of him we got to hear Elvis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison. Thank You Sam Phillips.

6. A point to ponder here......were it not for Sam P, would we have rock music today as we know it? For those not old enough to know the history, Sam brought Elvis and his adaptation of the black American rock and roll music to the attention of white audiences, and the rest is, as they say, history. Bill Haley was doing a similar thing in parallel, but he was not a sex symbol, and therefore not assured of a long career. Rock and roll is generally credited with being born in 1954, but this is quite incorrect, as the black American community had been listening to Fats Domino and Louis Jordan prior to that, in fact Fats Domino released a record in 1948 that is regarded as pure r 'n r. The title escapes me at present.

7. RIP, big daddy. :(

:)

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    funny you mention that, I have a friend who mixes "loops" on Acid and he sincerely believes he is making "music". technically its music, but its like calling yourself a photographer when you make a collage out of magazine clippings. it can be amusing, but I've not found the same "soul" in techno or dance music like conventional music made by human hands with manual instruments. The only techno I can sort of stomach is Moby, but if he didn't have lyrics that meant something I'd lump him in with the rest.

9. Not just blacks in America. My mum was listening to Louis Jordan records in London in the 40s. I listen now.

But yes...Thank you Sam Phillips