Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R.I.P. - John Lee Hooker

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wil Davis, Jun 21, 2001.

1. I just heard that the veteran bluesman John Lee Hooker passed away today in Los Altos, CA. Guess you could say he just didn't wake up this morning... :<

- Wil

2. yeah, heard it on the FDP. darn shame...

3. Thanks Wil, I was half watching the news and thought I saw he pic on the TV. I probally should turn up the volume on the thing.

Sad Sad Day.

I saw him in MA a little while back, the band was incredible, and he sat in his chair with a chesty woman sitting on his lap singing and playing.

He never stoped, the band never stoped, and the woman never left his lap. Great show.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Man, that sucks.

And boy, was this a lousy way to find out!

Well, what you gonna do...

5. Damn, damn, damn.

Goodbye to a man who wrote some great tunes. One of my favorite nights of music was watchin' that foot stomp out the beat song after song, with that to-the-point guitar and voice.

The joy of the Devil.

Boom, boom, boom, boom.

6. I have a huge poster of him in room that says "Boogie Chillen". Damn shame. :(

7. I heard rumors that he performed at the Chicago Blues festival that was at the beginning of this month. I haven't missed the CBF in years, that is, until this year - and if he was there, I sure would have liked to have seen it.

He'll be missed in Chi-town that's for darn sure.

8. I understand that he was playing gigs right up to the end. Played last Saturday apparently. Passed away in his sleep - man, what a great way to go! At least we still have his music, and his recordings!

- Wil

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

That's incredibly bad news. He was definitely one of my favorite blues musicians. My first experience was seeing him in the Blues Brothers movie playing "Boom Boom Boom". Great song. Great musician.

10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yep,
    That news certainly gave me "Blues Before Sunrise".
    Rest In Peace John Lee.

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Shame. He was probably the first bluesman who I really got into. RIP.

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    RIP John!!!
    I just seen a great documentary on A&E about a month ago on the life of JLH.
    He truly lived the life of a bluesman and will be dearly missed, His Music will live on forever!!!

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    A sad day for all of us who love the blues...:(

14. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Deynne expressed it well.

15. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Everyone owes a death I guess, but this is definately sad news.

I love the Big Head Todd / John Lee Hooker version of his BOOM BOOM BOOM. That song in all versions is his signature tune for sure.

Guys like him led the way for the SRV's Johnny Langs, Indigenous and Kenny Waynes of today. Sad news indeed.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This is sad..Rest in peace..:(

17. damn damn :( just heard the news. What a shame.
    John Lee Hooker felt like one of those people who have always been around are always going to be around... very sad news indeed. but man, what a life. Think i'll have one bourbon, one scotch and one beer for JLH today.

18. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    sad day, i heard it last night. gone in body but never in soul, he will live forever in the many many albums he graced with his style.
    R.I.P JLH
    later
    Lukas