R.I.P Ken Caminiti

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 11, 2004.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Another RIP...sadly 41 year old MLB player Ken Caminiti died last night. I remember growing up as a Houston Astros fan and watching Cammy play third base for the stros. He was passionate about baseball and I think just about everyone that he ever played with loved him. He had some serious demons though and could never shake his addictions to drugs and alcohol. I'd have a hard time believing that his heart attack wasn't at least somehow related to his drug use throughout his life if not directly caused by that. He left behind a wife and three kids.

brad cook
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I was a fan... power hitting 3rd basemen...

This morning on the radio, when this story was being discussed, it was mentioned that he had heart damage related to steroid use.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Steroids, cocaine, and heart muscle don't interact very well, unfortunately.

Maybe his stupid, untimely death can serve as a warning to the younger crowd who don't want to compete on a level playing field.

Maybe he and Lyle Alzedo are comparing notes on whether it was worth it, or not.... :(
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1! Unfornately, this won't serve as a lesson. We have more idiots, than lessons.
  5. +100000. Stuff like this will keep on happening.
  6. Man, I've been an Astros fan my whole life, so this is a blow, even though his most memorable seasons were when I was much younger. But I do remember several seasons, including his MVP season, that dude knew how to swing a bat.

He was good friends with Biggio and Bagwell, who still play for the astros...you know he will be on their minds tonight for game 5 in the playoffs.

I wonder how many other former astros have had serious drug problems? Let us not forget pitcher Darrel(sp) Kile, who also died of a heart attack, but in his 30s, which had to of been involved drug relations.
  7. Man...I was never much of an Astros fan, but I always loved the trio of Caminiti, Biggio and Bagwell. This is awful. R.I.P.
  8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Steriod use in baseball?? What a surprise!
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    he had it coming, and i think he knew it. he sacrified his future to be the best when he played. i have never been in a position to make a choice like he had to, but i would hope i would decide against performance enhancing drugs.

10. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Wow, my jaw dropped when I seen the thread title.
  11. R.I.P. Ken Caminiti, he was a great baseball player and I remember seeing a lot of him when he played with the San Diego Padres. He was a very talented player and a third baseman that knew how to hit the ball.