1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

R.I.P. old bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mpoppitt, Sep 4, 2008.

1. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Forgive me if this travesty has already been posted here, but I thought you might want to try to tear him a new one:

Carved top, flatback, hatpegs; looked workable to me.

:crying:

2. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    To tell the truth, I didn't watch, once I saw it go behind his back. If you could have offered a six pack I wonder if the idiot would have traded it to you? I have an old plywood bass in the corner waiting to be restored. Just need the time and a little money. Some people.....:rolleyes:

3. Toyoman

Toyoman

Mar 3, 2007
    They should be hog tied then tared and feathered.

4. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Yeah. I posted that in the humor section. :meh:

5. Bob Bass

Bob Bass

Mar 11, 2006
    I don't consider laughing at people that are this stupid as humor. :meh:

6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I've been fairly active in the Youtube comments on this matter, and have concluded that although you can fix an old bass, you can't fix stupid.

7. conte2music

conte2music Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Dobbs Ferry, NY
    I think I'm going to be ill. That was so terrible. wow!!! How many of us have students that don't own instruments, or could have used a nice old jazz bass? Unreal!

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Someone should grab the jerk by the ankles.
    And smash him on the sidewalk a few times.

A complete, moron.

P.S. This is not humor.

9. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I'd of been glad to give it a home. Looks like one of those old ones so many of us like.

10. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    What really troubles me is that these people are allowed to vote and reproduce.

It just makes me sad. The waste of a precious object and the musical potential. The world is just a little dimmer, now.

11. Nothing more I can say that's already been said. I'd never smash an instrument, regardless of the circumstances.

12. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    This is what these people do for fun? Inbreds.

13. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Dumbest damn thing I've ever seen.

Not just that they did it, but they videotaped it.

Not just that they videotaped it, but they put it up on YouTube.

You know, I rescued a 1938 Kay from a sidewalk sale in Brooklyn. Paid $50.

No strings, not tuners, no bridge. Guy had painted it black. Told me he was on the verge of turning it into a planter.

Took it to Bill Merchant. He let out a sigh of relief when I told him the story.

That bass is still a better instrument than I'll ever be a player.

14. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    It would be really great if one of the luthiers would chime in and tell this bunch exactly what kind of travesty this was.

15. I think the thing that bothers me most about this is the fact that the people who destroyed the bass seem genuinely entertained. They exhibit a mentality similar to people who purposely swerve to hit an animal crossing the street or throw garbage on the ground. Sad.

16. futurebass77

futurebass77

Aug 2, 2007
    well said eric

17. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    It just shows the mentality of people .. this is not the first thing like this i've seen.. there are tones of footage on Youtube of kids breaking brand new iBooks, putting iPods in the microwave ... and just straight out stupid stuff .... the do it because they think its cool.. its because there parents failed at raising them to have any kind of respect for anything.

18. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    I'm kinda surprised this video hasn't unleashed a flood of outrage around here. There is talk of lynching this guy elsewhere.

19. Indeed. It's just these kind of people who choose a presidential candidate because he or she is "one of us, a regular Joe." Look where *that* got us.

20. That is horrible. I can think of a ton of people who could have used an instrument. What an immature thing to do.