Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R.I.P. Pat Tillman

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vegaas, Apr 23, 2004.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Just thought I would post this. The story is on espn.com.
    For those that dont know. Pat Tillman was a professional football player for the Arizona Cardinals. He left football to enlist in the Army after 9-11. He was killed today in Afghanistan.
    He was the exception to the rule of self serving, spoiled, egotistical professional athletes. He turned down a 3 million dollar contract because he wanted to serve his country. How many people would do that?
    Thank you Mr. Tillman, you have set a tremendous example for us all.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

The same example set by the 800+ (and counting) other heroes of the all volunteer military in Afghanistan and Iraq.

[​IMG]

RIP

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would also like to note that there are very many players in the NFL that are not self-serving, spoiled nor egotistical. While there are many, the media portrays it like the norm.

RIP Pat Tillman.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Funny how nice guys only make headlines when they die.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I can't find words to adequately express the deep admiration and respect I feel for a man who made such a selfless decision and sacrifice.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes. The guy is an inspiration...especially in a time when multi-million dollar athletes are such cry babies over not making even more money, or not getting enough passes, etc.

The guy follows his conscience and we should be grateful to him and his family.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, that is really cool. I mean, it's not cool that he died. Obbviously it's tragic. But wow, that's really impressive.

RIP

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    A true American...

Soldiers getting killed is starting to hit home. My buddy in the services has already lost several of his friends in Iraq, now he's getting shipped out there for a 6 month stint.

I hope we're doing the right thing...

9. Thank you, Pat Tillman.

How do you repay a deed such as this?

A man with the courage to follow his convictions.

Mike

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Sorry, but I had a sudden feeling of vomit rush over me when I read that headline. I mean he's a standup guy - going to war over the NFL and all that - but what about the other "normal" guys who die everyday and we never here about them? All they are is a statistic and this dude gets on the front page?! We are a sick, sick country for putting so much fame, glamour, prosperity, etc. into sports!!!
    B.S. IMO

RIP

11. For the same reason I would pay attention to what Paul McCartney had to say about his amplifier choice and could care less what some guy named 'lesforprez' has to say about his amplifier choice. (no offense, but you're not a star to me)

There are legions of people who watched Band Of Brothers who think E-2-506 was the elite force of the Allied war machine in WWII. Why? Because you get to "know" them.

12. .

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    There will always be a "poster child" of the ideal. Whatever that ideal may be.

We've read accounts of our fallen heroes...people we would not have known about otherwise. But in all fairness, it is just about impossible to devote the headlines to ALL who have died defending this country, heroes all.

This was a story that proved your point actually. Here was a guy who is famous, is making millions...and yet he throws it all away to defend our country. A story worth telling. Pat Tillman's story validates your point and shows us all that fame, glamour, prosperity and sports aren't so important...yet he defended your right to say so.

Pretty cool IMHO.

14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Did you know Pat Tillman? I doubt it. Do you know Paul McCartney? I doubt it. Do you know me? I doubt it. What does this have to do with amplifiers anyway...

So Joe Blow dies - he's a number in the paper.
    Pat Tillman dies, and somebody digs it up that he played professional football (far from a star) - stop the press! this is big news?!

Sorry I can't happily lap up everything the media throws at us.

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    chill dude...and get a reality check.

16. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I understand your point, in wisconsin we have now lost 17 men and women during this war. Everytime we lose another soldier it makes me sick.
    The point of this post was to not only pay tribute to Pat Tillman, but to draw attention to all who are putting their lives on the line for their country. Pat Tillman just happened to be a famous athlete that we can put a face to.
    Also, while his death is no more or less important than any others, his story is interesting. How many people would give up millions of dollars, to go fight for their country?
    Dan Patrick just reran an interview with Mr. Tillman that he conducted on Sept. 12, 2001. In it, he mentioned most of the previous generations of males in his family have fought this country, and he hadnt done a damn thing. In the interview, you could here his emotion. A short time later he enlisted.

P.S. Lets please keep this thread away from anything political. It hasnt gone there yet, but it easily could. That is not the purpose of this thread.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

It's fun.

18. I work at the VA in Milwaukee. We buried Michelle Wittmer last week. Really quick, really quiet so the media wouldn't get a hold of it. She's the girl who was in Iraq with 2 of her sisters. I know her name now, I sympathize.

Dale check your PM.

19. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    OK - deep breath taken. At least vegaas has a clue about what I'm trying to say. If you didn't figure it out by now - I think Bush is a moron and this so called "war on terror" is out of control. Can anyone say Vietnam?

20. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    My bad - no more political stuff...
    :meh: