1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

R.I.P. Paul Milde SW FL Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by spywebco, May 16, 2011.

1. spywebco

spywebco Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    North Ft. Myers, FL
    I got the following email from a local Jazz group that Paul was a member of.

This missive is to let you loyal "Taste" aficionados know that our dear friend, gentleman*and bassist (par excellence), Paul Milde has passed peacefully at Hospice, near the beaches in Fort Myers. Paul has been a pillar of the band since our beginnings, about 6 years ago, until his graceful retirement last September.*
    So many of you have asked about him recently and I simply wanted you to know...* Quoting*Paul, "I love ya baby!". *

We will miss our friend!

I met Paul a few years ago when I saw them playing out locally. He was just an amazing person & a great player. His wife was charming too, they were the quintessential older couple. Our conversation led to his orginally being from the Washington, DC area. Long story short, we talked about his bass playing history, and learned that he had played in elementary & high school band with my Grandfather & knew him well through the '60's.

Paul was gracious, kind, and a true gentleman. I am sure there are some on TB that knew him, and I wanted to pass this on.

2. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    Bummer. I considered Paul and his wife Gem, to be great personal friends' I believe that he had just turned 90 last month. I subbed for Paul a few times over the last few years, he was a phenominal bass player (and tuba, too). My wife and I will miss him dearly. I love ya, baby

3. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    I am posting a copy of Paul's obituary. I think that many of you will find it interesting.

PAUL V. MILDE Sr.

| Visit Guest Book

FNP017875-1_20110517. PAUL V. MILDE, SR.

MAY 14, 2011

Paul V. Milde Sr., 90, of Cape Coral, Florida passed away Saturday, May 14, 2011, surrounded by his loved ones.

Paul, a native of Virginia, was a life long professional musician and a proud member of the Metro Washington DC Federation of Musicians. He served his country in the US Army for the entire length of WWII in Trinidad, as he said, "fighting off the Germans with my trumpet".

During his musical career in Washington, he played the double bass at Inaugural galas for every president from Dwight Eisenhower to Ronald Reagan and played regularly at all the renowned venues in Washington including the National Theatre, the Kennedy Center WMAL TV and the White House.

Paul played with many celebrities including Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Pearl Bailey, Jerry Vale, Carol Channing and Ann Margaret. Additionally, he played tuba for several seasons as a member of the Redskins band.

Paul cherished his friends and loved his life as a musician. The traits most people remember about Paul, though, were his gentle character, cheerful disposition and his incredible devotion to his wife of 71 years, Gem.

Paul was preceded in death by both of his children, Paul V. Milde Jr. and Pam Milde Bell. He is survived by his loving wife, Gem Milde, his grandson Paul V. Milde III, his great grandchildren, Travis Milde and Bailey Milde and his nephew, Greg McDonald.

A gathering for friends and family will be held at Paul and Gem's Cape Coral home on Saturday, May 21st from 3-7 pm and a short graveside gathering of friends will take place when Paul is buried at Columbia Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.

In lieu of flowers, please make donations to the Scholarship Fund Charlotte County Jazz Society PO Box 495321, Port Charlotte FL 33949

Family and friends may sign the guest register by visiting www.horizonfunerals.com.

Published in The News-Press on May 18, 2011

Paul told me an interesting story about how he ended up in Trinidad during WWII. In 1939, his tuba was reposessed, so he joined the Army National Guard band, because they would give him a new tuba. In late 1941, his unit was deployed to Trinidad. A short time later, the U.S. entered WWII, and Paul would not see his family again until after the end of the war.

Paul always greeted his friends with a hug. I am going to miss those hugs.