R.I.P. Ronald Reagan

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by neptoon, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, 93 year old ronald reagan passed away about 2 hours ago...man, here's a guy that we'll miss that a difference
  2. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I was born in '88. Mind filling me in on some of the the things he accomplished during his presidency?
  3. a wave of conversatism in the us, the iran-contra scandal and "trickle down economics"
    RIP Ronnie
  4. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    That is sad. I'm learning about the man in my history class too... he was a great president.
  5. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    He took on an evil empire, and won.

He was the greatest President of my lifetime. RIP.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The end of the cold war to start with.

brad cook
  7. In 1985 (I think) Ronald Reagan deployed Pershing Missiles in Europe. Pershings were capable of carrying nuclear warheads. Europe and most of the world was in a tizzy over this. Even American public opinion was contrary to this approach. But Reagan knew more than anyone about WHO the Soviets were. Despite the hand wringing and doomsday predictions, the Russians came back to the negotion table and were ready to really reduce the amount of nuclear stockpiles each side had.

Then there's that whole Cold War/Iron Curtain thing... :D

RIP Ronald Reagan
  8. haha Im older than you :)
  9. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Do you not go to school?
  10. I wonder if he knew that he died.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    He was my avatar for some time :)

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Anybody remember Ronald getting off the plane after some surgery he had done on his head, and he had the entire left side of his scalp shaved? He took his hat off and waved to the crowd. Now that's a true punk! :smug:

Rock on Ronnie.
  13. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Current MSN Screen Name: Ding Dong The Witch is Dead

Though I'm sure people will be able to enlighten me as to why he's the greatest/most evil modern president.

Hey, but it's too bad anyway. I heard Nancy was pushing for stem-cell research because of RR's condition.
  14. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Ronnie was President when I met the woman who would turn out to be my ball-and-ch-AHEM-lovely wife, and during most of the truly significant events in my life (learning how to slap bass, for one).

Seriously, whether you agreed with his policies or not, he was the "Great Communicator". You knew where he stood on the issues. May God grant peace to his family at this time.
  15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I found it! Here's my favorite pic of any president, EVER!

16. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    me too.

he came in when the u.s. had it's own people, many of them, held hostage by another country for over a year, and we were powerless to do anything about it. well, actually, he didn't come in with that situation - they were released right before he was sworn in as president.

he was a tank, he took a bullet in his 70's and hardly missed a day of work. the nations of the world who would have liked to see the u.s. fail feared him greatly, and what he would do. looks like his tough guy cowboy persona worked.

he also was the first president to actually sign a treaty with the soviets pledging to destroy a class of nuclear missiles.

remember, folks, let's keep this as a memorial to the good (and not so good) accomplishments of pres. reagan's career, and keep the discussion politic to a minimum.

this should be interesting, actually :)
  18. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    The pastor of my church was crazy about Reagan. He has Reagan's picture on the bedside tables in his house and he even named his first born daughter Reagen. He will be missed.
  19. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004

:meh: The problem is separating out the politics from the not :meh:
  20. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

I'm not that ignorant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.