Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R.I.P. Rufus Thomas

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    THIS was a funky man. From "The Breakdown" and "Walking The Dog", to the "Funky Penguin", he moved butts! Rest in peace bro. :(

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Stax Records Giant. He will be missed. Back in the day with his knee high boots, shorts and cape.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    He's been a killer entertainer, even in his later years. Saw him with BB King & Friends 3 or 4 years ago, and he had the whole place in stitches. BB couldn't keep a straight face, 30 mins after Rufus left the stage.

RIP Rufus...

4. aw ****. when and how? :(

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    They had a short peice on him on the news out here, a loss for us all. R.I.P. Three greats in a months time gone. Horrible.:(

6. Another drag! I remember seeing him on American Bandstand about 25 years ago, what a character. He will be missed.

Not to take away from Rufus, but, it's been two years since one of my favorite sax players, Grover Washington Jr. left us for the great gig in the sky.

It just stinks.

Mike J.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My first exposure to Rufus Thomas was via Aerosmith's cover of "Walkin' The Dog"...weird!
    RIP, RT!

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You can catch in his prime on the Watts Stax documentary. He had everybody in stiches there, too.
    "Pust it, pull it, push it, pull it."

9. He will be missed indeed. :( R.I.P. Rufus Thomas