Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R.I.P TABLE SAW.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Dec 26, 2005.

1. so my mom and dad got me some wood for x mas. today like 5 mins ago i started to cut the weng for the neck of my new bass. cut about 6 inches in and killed the motor. any one wanna recomend a table saw

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I got one used from an old neighbor friend. It's old, huge, and heavy, built like a tank. I need to get a new belt for it, and do some oiling and cleaning cuz it's been sittin' outside, but the blade is nice and it runs like a champ. So, I'd recommend searching for a nice, heavy duty older saw.

However, if money is no issue, then I'm sure there are plenty of high end new machines available. I just can't recommend any cuz I don't know anything about them.

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Be sure to check it out again before you ditch it. The saw I use at work has a thermal overlaod breaker and will trip if we we push it too hard. It will reset when the motor cools off though and no harm is done. If you're lucky, that's all that has happened to your saw. If the saw is OK, you probably just need to get a nice sharp blade and you'll be all set.

4. we triped the breaker on the saw unpluged it and reset it when we started it up again the blade didnt spin and sparks shot out of it so thats how i know i killed the table saw. thank god i had my step dad cut the wood lol.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If I were buying a table saw new I would be looking at Grizzly.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Just got the new fat catalog in the mail. Sweet.

7. I'd strongly suggest the Ryobi BT3100.... It's been working fantastically for me so far, has some very cool features, and it has a long history of reliability. If you're looking for a compact, inexpensive, and reliable saw, this would be my strongest suggestion. Home Depot currently has a 50$ rebate on them too, so it'll only cost you 250$. I was going to buy a lower model Grizzly myself, but in the end the Ryobi won me over.

*shrugs*

Check out the forums at http://www.BT3Central.com for reviews, discussions about it, and such.

OT, but has anyone had any experience with the bass hardware Grizzly has?

8. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    How long of a history of reliability?.....I have owned my Powermatic 5hp model 66 for almost 20 years without any problems whatsoever. I doubt that anything that Ryobi makes could hold up for that many years of use. I know that I'm opening a can of worms here, but Ryobi is low grade consumer tooling that was never designed for years of use. Not everyone can afford to buy a $2700 professional table saw, but let's realize that Ryobi just "ain't that good".

Flame me if you wish, but I stand by, ready and able, to defend my statement.

9. Many people have owned the older model for 10+ years man. The newer model, is well, newer, but I haven't read many complaints about reliability on it.

I'm no Ryobi fan myself, but after reading testimonial after testimonial about how the saw has been very reliable over a long period of time while performing admirably, I was won over. I won't touch most of their products, but through my research I found that many people have had success with this saw.

*shrugs*

It works for me, and based on my experiences with it I suggested it. I don't see what's wrong with that?

10. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    PaulSimonon.....Nope!...Nothing wrong with your reasoning.....I just want to make sure that we all know that we are comparing apples to oranges. When we read the reviews and comparisons, we have to take into consideration who is writing these things.... It could be someone from the company trying to "sell" their product or it could be someone that has very little experience with profesional level machinery and has no real basis for comparison. I always say buy the best that you can afford. If you buy the best, you won't have to buy it again!

11. i just want a table saw that can cut hard wood like weng purpleheart ect for neck blanks

12. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    That's why I opted for the 5 hp Powermatic 66. If you are going to rip thick heavy stock, you will definitely need the horsepower and a good blade. With too little horsepower, you will be placing unnecessary strain on your motor, thus shortening its life. A sharp, high-quality blade will also make life easier.... Your motor will not have to work so hard to rip through very dense woods such as Wenge, Purple Heart and Cocobolo.

13. so my dad got the Ryobi BT3100 i cut the wood up for my neck today and it worked perfect for wat i needed it to do.

14. Biagio139

Biagio139 Dealer: Hipshot Products, Inc.

Dec 23, 2005
    Ithaca N.Y.
    I have the big dewalt, not quite a contractors saw not quite a cabinet saw jet makes almost the same thing. Ive had alot of luck with it, nice fence. probably would go with a grizzly cabinet saw for the same price but at the time it was out of stock. I have alot of grizzly tools. Ive found that the quality is good you just need to upgrade on you fences etc. One thing though the dewalt wieghed much less and that was a huge factor for me since I had to get it down stairs.