1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

R.I.P. Wayne Cochran

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by StatesideRambler, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Wayne Cochran joined the band in Rock and Roll Heaven last week.

Probably only a few of you know or know of Wayne Cochran but his on-stage power made him quite an influence on American soul and rock performers in the sixties-seventies. Most famous for writing the song "The Last Kiss" he was known for belting out throaty, nothing-held-back performances and just as well known for his enormous white, helmet-like pompadour hair style. The hair inspired the sobriquet "The White Knight of Soul." He backed Otis Redding on bass in Otis' earlier days and most of his stage moves as a front man were similar to James Brown's because they were both from Georgia, both were explosive performers and they knew each other well. Cochran never hit it big like some others who gave less to their audiences but those of us who were there at the time will always marvel at his incandescence. As something of a side note, one of Jaco Pastorius' earliest pro gigs was playing in Cocnran's C.C.Riders.

Thanks for the shows, Wayne.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    JRA, bassjack51, ahc and 5 others like this.
  2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    RIP Wayne.

3. Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    kobass likes this.
  4. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Saw him in Lauderdale during 66, spring break. What a tight band. He used to play at the Diamond Club in my home town of Dayton, Ohio. I think there is a YouTube video with Jaco in it.

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    There was a story on Rolling Stone yesterday. I really didn't know who he was, but the guy was a great singer.

Mushroo likes this.
  6. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    To me, this was one of his best performances.

hs123, ahc, pcake and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sad news indeed, another hard working and very original musician that never really got his due. I saw him in the early 70's at the NCO club @ Ft Hood (IIRC). He and that amazing band gave every ounce and drop of sweat, you just do not see bands like that anymore.

Bass V, Old P Bass Guy and JimK like this.
  8. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Saw him in the early '70s at one of those tv "In Concert" multi act tapings in Brooklyn, NY. He was the first act out and unknown to the audience. They (we) sat there staring! The director of the tv show came out and berated the audience for not showing any appreciation to the talent after being let in for free. He had WC go off and come back on again to a (hopefully) better reception. I wonder if I saw Jaco that night.

Old P Bass Guy and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Wayne Cochran had stage moves like James Brown because he was heavily influenced by James Brown. Cochran’s thing was that he white guy covering R&B/Funk. I am not picking on him due to his color, there more white or mainly white acts that developed original takes on R&B/Funk than I can easily name, but WC was not one of them but Tower of Power, Muscle Shoals Studio Band, Bobby Caldwell, the Average White Band, are some famous examples. For us bassists, WC is most important because he gave Jaco his first major gig.

Old P Bass Guy and flojob like this.
  10. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    No doubt Jaco was on this clip. Just a teenager, the best bass player EVER!!

ahc and Dr. Cheese like this.
  11. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    The
    Mussel Shoals were the "Swampers" like the guys in LA called the "wrecking crew". Two notable players buy the names of, Glen Cambell and Leon Russel.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sounds like Jaco, but doesn't look like him?

RIP Wayne Cochran! Music makes ya feel like grooving, it's alright!

Bass V likes this.
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006

JimK, hs123 and Old P Bass Guy like this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It takes talent to lead and hold on to a tight band. Wayne Cochran certainly had that skill.

15. You may not know this but Edgar and Johnny Winter were both in Wayne's band in the early 60"s

Davbassdude likes this.
  16. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    No kidding?! Just saw Edgar at a concert in the Mtns of Az. AWSOME!! Has not lost his chops......

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    @Mike Marshall, do you really use that Acoustic 360 with your mandolin? :D

18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    RIP.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. R.I.P. Mr. Cochran. He had such a great stage presence. "Last Kiss" (as covered by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers) was one of the early pieces of music in my life that had a profound effect on my musical preferences outside of what my parents normally played around the house. Thank you for your music . . .

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now that was a great clip! Cochran just walked in and took over. You can’t do that with just talent, you need the experience of constant gigging. Also, David Letterman’s original band was insanely good!

bobyoung53 likes this.