1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RA trio: Deep5 vs Solid4 vs Mouse-f

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nostatic, Sep 20, 2010.

1. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Had a jazz gig this weekend and I decided to take all three and swap around. I've had some PMs asking about sound (especially of the Solid4), so I humbly submit a few youtube videos. The usual caveats: this was an onboard mic for the camcorder, I was using house backline with no FOH, and it was a party celebrating the vocalist's wedding so there is plenty of ambient sound. But it gives some indication of how the three sit in a mix.

Deep5:

I think there is an inherent "RA sound," but mag certainly isn't the same as piezo. One of my favorite aspects is that the heaviest bass of the bunch is a tad over 7lbs :p

2. Even the solid 4 seems to have that woody, resonant midrange thing.

3. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    To me the S4 sounds like a P-bass - but a really sweet P-bass.

One thing that is true about Rob's instruments - when you play them you can feel the body vibrating, and that includes the S4. Not just a little, but a lot. I've compared them with my Zons and with other Fenders, etc. They have more resonant bodies. I could chalk that up to chambering on the D5 and Mouse, but the S4 has it too. I believe Rob would argue though that a bit chunk of the tone is coming from the neck so that makes a difference and he has tight neck pockets and on the S4, quartersawn maple (and this has Brazilian rw). Just a very well composed combination of factors to get the RA sound. They certainly won't get every tone in the book, but the inherent sound is so good that it'll support a lot of different styles. ime/imho

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Even fretted the Mouse sounds like an upright. I've listened to a bunch of clips and I think the Mouse has the upright thing (which is what I want more than a fretless thing) more than the MB-2. I just don't know about the scale thing - surprise, me worried about scale length. I've never tried a 30" scale bass. It may be as bad as 35" for me. I would probably switch between whatever "upright" I get and my 44-02 on jazz gigs.

There's no denying the tone.

5. Steve, the Deep model is calling you.

It's calling me too, but I am in denial.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Denial...and the $3,000 :)

7. Yeah that...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021