1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rabbath concerto no. 3

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by pao_bass, Sep 27, 2008.

1. good day to you, Patrick and all the other guys here in talkbass. I'm wondering, how come I can't find sheet music of this particular piece on the internet? I've listened to it a couple of times on Rabbath's cd "Carmen" and the more I listen to it, the more I seem to like it. I'm planning to include it (hopefully) in my recital programme, but alas, no printed music. do any of you guys know if there are any other sources for this concerto? thanks and good day to you all.

2. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    Liben Music (liben.com) publishes this piece. Good luck
    Patrick Neher

3. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    2 years ago, when I wanted to do this piece, Liben had stopped publishing it. Perhaps it's back in circulation now? I got it through an inter-library loan after having emailed M. Rabbath to see what the best legal way to get the music would be.

Best of luck,
    Pat

4. I just browsed the liben catalog and alas, it is not in the circulation =(

5. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Hey, I own this piece. If you're really desperate for it, I can scan it to you free of charge...I hope I'm not breaking a rule...

6. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    Generally you do not want to scan/copy any copyrighted material (which this is) however, you are allowed to make a copy for yourself to study from. Copyright Laws are changing I suppose, but right now, limited copying is possible, legally, up to a certain percentage of the work. Now, if you copy it and give it to a friend that is stretching the law a bit, since there was no compensation involved. So, I'd say, if the work is truly out of print and the composer/writer is dead, copying the work may be legal. Be aware that for modern composers, Copyright holds for something like 100 year (or more) after the composer/writer's death. In the case of Rabbath, simply write to him and ASK to copy the Concerto. If he says yes, do it. Liben Music likely owns the copyright still, so it'd be appropriate to contact Frank Proto (info @ liben dot com) and ASK to copy it. It is likely that yes will be the answer. To avoid lawsuits it is best to ask the holder of the copyright.
    Best to you!
    PN

7. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit

Lets transcribe it now.

=p

8. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    Transcribing IS an option (if you're good at that!). But if you sell your transcription you run into copyright laws. Certainly for yourself, transcribing from recording is a legal option. If you perform your transcription in a concert where people pay to hear you play you again will run into copyright violation. In fact, legally you cannot play from copies of any published/copyrighted work in a public-paying concert. Wow! You are supposed to use the published media. This way the publisher gets, and composer gets, a royalty... the only incentive to composing and publishing! Every time you copy a musical work, either a recording or sheet music, you are making it impossible for publishers to stay in business, and for composers to gain from their creative work. Sorry to preach, but this is why the laws are there.. to help composers continue to compose!
    Ciao!
    PN

9. dcco76

dcco76

Mar 27, 2011
    What if I (or anyone else for that matter) learn a piece by ear and perform it (for pay)?
    I know someone who learned the Bottesini Concerto No. 2 (with the Edgar Meyer cadenza) by ear for their recital, so I'm pretty sure they could learn Rabbath's Concerto too.
    I was just wondering if there is any way anyone could get into "trouble" by not having the music they are performing (for pay)?
    Thanks!

10. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Any time you perform something composed/written by somebody else and you profit, without obtaining the rights to do so, you are in violation of copyright law. It doesn't matter how you got the material.

If you wrote a book, would you want somebody to photocopy it and then sell it on their own without sending you any royalty checks?

11. I support the copyright laws, because I want to see more compositions for unaccompanied bass. It's hard, though, as a middle school band/orchestra director, but I only use originals at my school. It's so easy to hit the green button, but it's the wrong thing to do.

12. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Also, remember that the copyright holder is often somebody other than the composer, alive or not, and that even out-of-print music by deceased composers may still be under copyright. IMSLP has a whole spiel about copyrights and it's worth reading through.

13. Contact Rabbath directly for this piece. It will eventually be in book five, but that won't be available for some years.