1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rabbath okay for DB newbie?

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by wingnut.supreme, Feb 21, 2008.

1. wingnut.supreme

wingnut.supreme

Aug 22, 2006
    Hi Lynn,
    I was hoping to get your opinion / advice.
    I am a 20 year EB fretless player who has decided to take on the DB (wish me luck).:) I will be playing 99% pizz jazz as I have no interest (or hope :crying:) of being an orchestral musician starting the DB at 38 years of age.

My question is, is it a good idea to study the Rabbath method from the begining or is it necessary to start with Simandl or something else?

Thanks,
    John

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    I think starting with the Rabbath method is a wonderful idea. It does help to have feedback from a teacher about the stance, rotations/pivots, fingerings, bowing, etc. I wish I had started with the Rabbath method, but got to it as soon as I could! The videos will help if you don't have a teacher to give you at least some fundamental help in the beginning of your studies of that method.
    Good Luck.

3. wingnut.supreme

wingnut.supreme

Aug 22, 2006
    Great! I just ordered the Rabbath books "A New Technique for Double Bass" Vol 1 & 2 and the CD-ROM where he demonstrates and discusses his method. Now I just need to find someone here in Phoenix to study with.

Thanks for you help!