Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Race" records

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You know, what the parents in the 50's thought was gonna be the downfall of society because it induced foot tapping? I want to listen to some, and BET Jazz isn't playing any at the moment. Who are some good artists from the time period that would fit that category?

2. "Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

Federal Bureau of Narcotics Chief Harry J. Anslinger, 1929

"[Marijuana is taken by] musicians. And I'm not speaking about good musicians, but the jazz type..."

Harry J. Anslinger
    Federal Bureau of Narcotics

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    no! I just want some music that would fit that genre, I called it negroe music because I am not sure what it would be classified as by todays standards...

4. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    really bro., I understand you dont mean to offend anyone, but you could think of a better way to put that. "Negroe" is a offensive, durogatory term, from a time when african americans werent even considered equal humans. Next time, Think it through before you use a term like that. Besides that, the music you describe could cover a variety of styles from boogie blues to swing, so it really doesnt mean anything.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

... you want to be taken out back and beaten with a hose, don't you?

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    im thinking it would be jazz... but then i listen to it, and hear so many other things... blues to swing... classical... so that is the only thing i can think to call it because that is what i have heard it reffered as...

i sincerely apologize if i offended anyone, i just really like the music from the period, and want to listen to some.

7. i dont think "negroe" is a demeaning term at all, i understand mikes dilemma, and i dont know any bands in particular. sorry.

8. The group that comes to my mind from that era is "The Drifters". Some of their music is "I
    Count The Tears", "Save The Last Dance For Me", "Dance With Me", "This Magic Moment", "There Goes My Baby", "Under The Boardwalk"............. I hope this helps.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You need to check USA history...but, at least you didn't spell it right...one of two words best forgotten...
    I guess the best description would be 'Early '50-60s R&B', it was called 'Race Music'. I'm out...:( :spit:

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    "Negro" is not a derogatory word, it was an acceptable term back then.

Sounds like what you're talking about is *surprise* Rock and Roll. Or Race music, Rhythm & Blues, Blues (loads of varieties) or a few other things. Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Etta James, along with a host of others including several one hit wonders had people fearing for the moral future of their children. Considering those same parents probably lived through the Jitterbug era it seems silly now.

Elvis had the same general affect on parents way back when.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Jeez Mike, did you break up with a girlfriend or something? Why all the lame threads?

To find artists who recorded the types of music you refer to, simply refer to the music of the time period you selected. Segregation was across the board, as you know.

I changed your title to "Race" records. I suggest you do a search on google using those words.

Ziendi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.