Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Race stories.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anyone have any good race stories? I found the following humourous one on a BMW board, but apparently it's been around on some other forums as well. Anyway, here it is.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    OMFG what a good story!

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I caught a little wood off that.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I love the bicyclist passing them.

My first car was a 1974 Datsun 610. So much of this narrative hit somewhat close to home.

5. Man, how can anybody follow up with something as good as that?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1984 Nissan Stanza. I feel the pain.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I relate to that story :(

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I gotta say, that was a good one. :D

9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Sounds like me at work. I race all the crown electric fork trucks. They don't stand a chance against my komotsu propane. :spit:

10. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    ever do spinouts on slip sheets? I worked in a wharehouse years ago, we used to lay slip sheets on the floor and haul tail accross the warehouse in a propane hyster, hit the slip sheet and crank the wheel/hit the brakes good times (almost turned one on it's side once)
    My dad had a shelby cobra back in the sixties he used to race vettes a lot and would kill them in 1st gear, wait for them to catch up then shift to 2nd and do it again, then the same in 3rd and 4th just to mess with them.
    I have pulled the same trick against a 5.o mustang in my turbo celica good fun!

11. I had a chevelle when I was a kid. It was a 350 bored over with a big ass racing cam in it and lo and behold..... a nice new muffler. I bought the car from a friend and the engine and tranny were new but the car was a rust bucket outside and in. It also didn't sound very tough. Straight up beater. I can't tell you how many cars I beat off the line in that thing! Never got me any chicks though.... :rollno:

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Got Yugo?

[​IMG]

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I save my racing for the track.

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Seriously, though... I came across this image searching for a pic of a guy out of Dallas who autocrosses a *stock* Yugo. He's a good enough driver that he will beat most newbies in far better cars (and what car isn't?). I admit he creamed me at my first SCCA divisional event. Fortunately for my pride and ego, I gained enough skill to avoid the same fate in later events... whew. You may have seen this guy in Grassroots Motorsports magazine. He's been in several times and won one of their challenge contests. Can't recall his name but he's a really nice guy.

:bag:

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  16. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Sounds like every boy racer around here. 3 cylinder Metros. Comedy :p

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    My first car was '71 Datsun 510 2-Door. Although it was no slouch. Suprised many an unsuspecting cars with that thing.

18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had one of those 3 cylinder Metros as a rent car when I was in Colorado Springs for a seminar a couple years ago. On the highway headed out towards Pike's Peak (not *that* steep a grade, mind you) the thing would struggle to maintain 35 mph, downshifted with the pedal buried. Suffice it to say I shared my thoughts about the car with the admin person at work who made my travel arrangements. :scowl:

19. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    My first was an 87 Plymouth Voyager... 2.1L 4-cyl.

It did 0-60 in 6-8 weeks, plus $5.95 shipping and handling...

20. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

Why? Just why? What is the point in having the exhaust that long? I hope it's not for good looks......beacuse it's not working.