"Race with the Devil on Spanish Highway" by Al Di

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Desdenova, May 11, 2003.

1. Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Working on figuring out the intro right now, and I'm pretty sure on part of it, but I can't figure out that group of 4 notes. Here's what I've got so far: G A G A A A. It's played first with two notes, a short pause, the next two, a pause, and then four notes. I'm fairly certain the Gs and As are right, but the last two notes are driving me insane. If anyone can help me with that riff, thanks. Then I'll try and tackle the rest of the song...good god.
  2. woot

Nov 16, 2002
    Well, when I listened to it I got
    E F# E F# G F# E F# . Maybe our versions of the song are in a different key?

This should probably be in the Tablature or Recordings forum, too.
  3. Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Nope, that's dead on. I don't realize I'm deaf until I hear it the right way =\ Good thing I can get a teacher as soon as schools out. Damned early openings.
  4. woot

Nov 16, 2002
    That's great that you're getting a teacher! Not sure of your level now, but there are a lot of things you can do on your own to improve your ear. One would be just to play little tunes that you know (anything you can possibly think of) on the bass. For example you could learn "When the saints come marching in' or 'america the beautiful'...or just anything basically. Also, just listen to a song that you have sometime, and figure out when there are chord changes. Eventually pick up a bass and try to find the root of these chords by hearing the song in your head. Heh yeah that Di Meola song must be pretty nuts to figure out. I'm still struggling with the whole learn it by ear business.

When you talk to your teacher, you should try to go in with an idea of what you want to learn. Teachers are a lot happier when they know that you have your own goals already in mind.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    COOL SONG!!!

Al did some very good stuff in his earlier days.

Others songs to check out

Alien Chase on Arabian Desert
    Dinner Music of the Gods
    Splendido Hotel