Racer X bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dontbesobassist, Mar 7, 2006.

1. I've currently become hooked on Racer X. Their basslines are a challenge and also extremely enjoyable to play. However I realy want stretch myself and play the best I can. I currently have a 5 string Shine bass which is great but not excellent for the music. I need something good quality that is easy 2 play and easy to move around quickly. I dont have £1000 to spend so I'm really looking for the best bass I can get for a decent price. I have currently looked
    at the warwick rockbass line and the musicman OLP basses. I realise alot of the decision process relies on me findin what is best for me, but all your experiences and tips are greatly appreciated. cheers
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    If you want the Racer X bass tone, John Aldrete played with Fender Jazz basses.
  3. fender jazz bass? oh no :crying:
    john alderete is a great player but I hate that bass
    played it a few times in various shops and i hate the sound of it
    any other suggestions for good quality basses for this kinda music?
  4. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well, later in the eighties, Racer X all became Ibanez endorsers, so I guess that a Soundgear would be a good match.
  5. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    John Aldrete Only plays in racer X on the side now i believe. He became the bassist for mars volta and in that band he pretty much exclusivly plays old ash P-basses with maple necks.
  6. ibanez. right kool. yeh i like the look of them. never played one. are they good? ill b sure 2 pop down 2 my soundcontrol asap. any more suggestions?
  7. rmichael

rmichael Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Central Illinois
    The Ibanez Soundgear series basses would be very good for this style. I owned two of them several years ago. They have a very thin - fast neck which makes fast runs and fancy fingerwork much easier and enjoyable!
  8. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Idk about racer x, but I know in mars volta he plays fretless P/Js with rosewood necks, there was a bassplayer with him on the cover a few months back (well probably a lot more than a few at this point.) If I'mnot mistaken, the bassist for Coheed is endorsed by spector.
  9. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Yamaha BBs and Spector Legends are probably a good thing to look into.

Also, check out Mr. Big. Same guitarist, but with Sheehan on bass.