1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rachel Bolan ~ What did he REALLY use?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TimWilson, Apr 23, 2010.

1. I was rediscovering some of my old favorites the other day, and it struck me all over again how AWESOME the bass sound was on the first Skid Row album. And the mix was so great: The bass was right up there, clear and punchy... Never lost...

I know Rachel was well-known for playing Spectors live, but I THINK I remember reading that he recorded that first album with a Precision. The tone sure sounds more Spector-ish to me, but I'm really curious now: Does anybody REALLY KNOW what Rachel recorded the first Skids album with?

2. Saw those guys live 8 or 9 times, great performer.

I dont know his set up for recording but I prefer his sound on the second album, Slave To The Grind, totally awesome sound :)

3. I've got an old issue of Bassist magazine with an interview with him, and he said he always used a 70's precision to record with- which came as a surprise as there were all those endorsement credits for Spector, Hamer etc. on the Slave to the grind album inlay.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    yep, he's always said he recorded with a precision. a lot of people do that. they may find precisions or jazz basses not that comfy onstage, or maybe not right for the live mix, but they'll record with them. like cliff williams...he records most of ac/dc's stuff with a precision, but onstage he almost always uses a stingray.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I've seen some interviews (& studio pics) where he's using his Spector as well.... but prob 80% was done with an old Precision/Sansamp

6. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    You're right- the bass tone and mix on the first Skid Row album is just fantastic. No way that's a Spector, though. Gotta be a precision