1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rachel Bolan

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by juancho, Apr 12, 2006.

1. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    Hey, what´s your opinion on Rachel Bolan (from Skid Row)? I really like some tunes

2. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    i dig him....

He's always been a very solid player....

3. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    jaj really a coincidence...

STTG is really great, here in Argentina, most of the people don´t know who they are, and there are a few who ever listened to "in a darkened room" (whose guitar riff is so emotional and the bass part gives that blues feeling).

I didn´t know that!...And Im a starter in bass playing, so I can´t tell very much about his technique, but he sounds excelent, especially in the intro of Psycho Love. hear that part and try no to move your foot and head up and down with the rithym!! its imposible!!

4. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    Rhythm....and impossible jej

5. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Back when SKID ROW came out he was one of my favorite players
    he always had cool colored SPECTORS

6. Rachel Rocks. Talent wise of all the Hair Metal Bands I would say Skid Row is definatly in the top three. I really respect Rachel's playing. I say he is right up there with Duff for his playing ability and his song craftmanship is right up there with Nikki Sixx.For the genre he is a really great player.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Looking back, he was among the finest bassists working in the Hair Band movement. Nice playing, great tone, and superb note choices. He duplicated all this live, which is strong proof that he actually played on the Skid Row albums.

I recall that SR drummer Rob Affuso went on to play in a busy corporate band in the Tri-state area. I haven't heard what Bolan is doing these days, but I imagine he'd have to have lost that nose ring connected to the ring in his lip by a chain to find employment in the straight world.

8. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    jajajajaja I had forgotten about his nose-lip chain connection!!!!

Is it true that the band broke because of Sebastian Bach attitude? Because he was such a great singer, I heard he went to the casting for velvet revolver when they were recruiting a singer.

Now, in which Skid Row song do you think Rachel does his best performance??

9. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I seem to recall Rachel Bolan being one of the main song-writers on Slave To The Grind.

STTG is probably one of the best early 90's metal CD's ever - classic!!

10. dannoman

Feb 3, 2004

Skid Row released a CD last year (- sebastian) and have been touring non stop....

11. Yeah Skid Row is alive and well. Rachel still plays bass, he has lost the ear to nose chin, and races cars and I believe he manages a race car team as well. I saw them 2 years ago with Poision and Vince Neil and 4 yeras ago with Kiss and Ted Nugent Both times they were amazing, unfortunatly both times they were an opening act. I wish they would come to Canada as a headliner. The new singer Jonny Solinger is good not as good as Sebastien but he can really hold his own.

12. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    I totally agree, sollinger is good, but sebastian,....was awesome, he reached those incredibly high tones, especially in live performances of "in a dakened room"...unbelievable.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Big Skid Row fan, here, and I have always really admired Rachel's playing, song-writing abilities, and his tone. I mean, that full yet clean tone, and it's level in the mix was - to my ears, at least - almost unheard of back in the 'hair band' era. I just heard Monkey Business in the car today, and man, I had to crank it up and then hop on TalkBass! :p :bassist:

Our lead singer in my long-standing band was one of the first people to buy STTG, and right after getting the tape (tape! LOL!), he went off on a camping trip with his Mom and Aunt, and that was the only 'rock' tape he had with him. When he got back, he had some new ideas for originals, and in hindsight, man, oh man, did they sound like they could have come right off of STTG (I hadn't heard much of it yet). So much so, that we'd play one of the tunes he wrote on this trip, and afterwards people would compliment us on our 'Skid Row cover.' :p

Any of you catch Skid Row on SNL? I think they were on several times, but I remember Sebastian and Rachel being in on a skit or two, and it was frackin' hilarious. :smug:

Tom.

14. dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    Why yes i do....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlu_ACBxibY

and one of the greatest things ever on tv....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8r4aK9NG1M

And just for those who don't know, Slash = Keifer Sutherland and Axle = Adam Sandler.....

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes! Kiddie Metal! That's what I'm talking about. :D

16. Before I got into the "Lollapalooza" variety of rock bands, I was all about hard rock/metal of the late 80s/early 90s. Rachel Bolan had several melodic and memorable basslines. He also would play those tastey fills that jumped up every once in a while that I thought were pretty cool but they never got in the way of the vocals. Amongst the "hairy" rock bands of that period, I think he was one of the better bassists of that genre.

17. -Acid-

-Acid-

May 5, 2007
    i always liked his sound hes easy to hear in the mix

18. Slave To The Grind is the best hair metal hard rock album of all time. Bolan's fantastic basslines are part of the mix. The Threat anyone. Take those licks and test your fingerstyle...