Rachid Taha (know anything Jazzad?)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Apr 15, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    *Technically Rachid isn't a bassist, but he has a bassist in his band and is a performer so I figured this would be the best forum (move if necessary).

I was wondering if anyone else on TB has any experience with Rachid Taha or his group. I have been a fan for two years or so now, but will never get to see him in concert because he's French/Arab and does not like the US at all from what I've read. :( He does a very interesting and very groovy fusion between rock, Arab Rai, and electronica. The beats are extremely infectious, especially in the Live cd with the bongos, and tablas in addition to standard rock drums. I can't understand most of his lyrics because tehy are in French and Arabic, with a little bit of English (he's fluent in all three), but I do know a lot of his material is somewhat political in nature. He has two albums I know of (Made in Medina, Rachid Taha Live).
    Since you live in France I figured you might know a little more or have seen Rachid, Jazzad. If any other TB'ers (particularly you French folks) know anything or are curious, feel free to contribute. :)