Racial Segregation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen S, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I don't want this to turn into a racial war, but does anyone know what states still have racial segregation? My history tacher said those states still exist, and that blew my mind, because I live in California and racism isn't as bad as it is elsewhere.
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Your teacher is a Moe-Ron
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT

Maybe did he mean racial descrimination? Because that's still going on in all states- the states have no control over it.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I think he means descrimination. Beccause I'm sure in some small cases segregation occurs. I know down in some southern, you hear the 'n' word about as often as you hear hello... moreso if your black :meh: But I'm sure some hicks in some small towns won't allow black people into their resturaunts or bars or whatever. I'm not sure. But yeah, I see racism slowly diminishing, which is exciting. It still exsists in small amounts, but even in my life time I've seen less racisim occuring. But then again, I've spent all my life (kinda) in Southern New York and Northern Pennslyvania. Man... I'm tired, I can't even read my typing. I don't know what's going on... uhmmm goodnight.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why can't we all just get along?
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Racial Segregation is still happening across the US. It isn't the level where there is separate public facilities for each race, but look at different neighborhoods in the city you live in. I'm sure there are areas where whites are the stong majority, african americans are the strong majority, etc.
  8. I believe your teacher was talking about THIS

Black History

If you are serious put this topic title into google and see the results.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Phew - there was one intelligent comment in this thread!! :meh:

I was heartened to read the following, from that site :

"Although it is possible to average the data and to identify some regional trends, it is important to note that there is no one way residential segregation functions in America. One can find instances of both high and low levels of segregation for every combination of racial groups."

Well done Treena for actually answering the question asked. :cool:
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Texas is perdy bad in some areas. This little Mexican-Italian American won't go to certain areas due to the hostile climate. I mean, c'mon, just outside of San Antonio (driving towards Houston) there is a diner called Kountry Korner Kitchen!?!

I have heard really, really, reeeeeeeeally bad AM station talkshows (prolly little home stations) while on the road just going off on how certain ethnic groups or certain religious groups need to go back where they came from.

it makes me sad, but it also goes to show that racisism is still alive and well in america. don't we remember the dragging of an African-American in a certain little West-Texas town (not that this type of crap only happens in West-Texas) about only 10 years ago? stuff like that really make this state look, well, uh, like Texas.

11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Please keep posts on topic.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    And people think I'm nitpicking when I bemoan people's poor vocabulary...

One word can make a big difference.

I'd ask your teacher to clarify his/her meaning.
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    James Byrd Jr., in East Texas (Jasper), 1998, actually.

I work just a few miles from Jasper. From my liberal white male perspective, I wouldn't want to live here or raise kids here. I would never admit to my boss or associates that I'm a liberal or that I have a distaste for the place they call home. I keep my mouth shut and drive home, 80 miles away. I pass through Evadale, an all-white town that has signs posted at either end of town bragging about the Evadale High "Rebels", complete with a big confederate flag insignia. I also pass through Lumberton, a community that has stayed under the radar of ugliness, attracting droves of white families from my hometown to "better schools." I'm sure it's just sheer coincidence that the most recent census data reported a black population of zero.

I admit I'm nervous about speaking ill of the area in public, given that I've got a good job that I count on. I can only imagine how I'd feel if I were black...

Anyway, vis-a-vis the original post: Legal and sanctioned segregation, no. De facto segregation, you bet.
  14. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

That's why I didn't want to single out West-Texas as an "area", because I knew you live out there and know that you are not like that. :)

I saw the documentary on PBS about Jasper. It was interesting. It had an Anglo-American film-crew interviewing and also an African-American film crew interviewing people about the situation. it was amazing how the different crews got different answers to the same questions.

along with Jasper, Vidor had some "issues" as well. I think that one was about ten years ago.
  15. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I never saw that documentary (no PBS on my satellite TV) but I did catch excerpts and interviews, as well as a network special focused on the film. No question that there are different realities for different people in these parts. Most (white) folks I know around Jasper resent the issue being dwelt upon, resent the media attention, and just want all of this to go away and be forgotten about. Without offering my own opinion, that should tell you something, right there.

And since you mention it, I live less than 15 minutes away from Vidor. I got a call for a pickup blues gig about 10 years ago. I hesitated because it was in Vidor, but agreed. I'd never really been to Vidor, and followed the other guys to a small icehouse festooned with "white pride" slogans, banners and the like. The hispanic guitarist looked nervous all night, and the *only* reason I didn't just turn around and leave was the fact that he was sticking it out, and I knew he needed the money.

True tales from the belly of the beast, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, and lest it seem that all human ugliness is contained within a hundred miles of my house, I was in Cincinnati a year or two before racial tensions erupted there, and can say that if the rhetoric is a bit kinder and gentler there, the feel I get about quality of life, driving through a black neighborhood in Cincy, isn't much different from the vibe I get back home.
  16. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i remember reading that from a while back. i would of been sweating up a storm as well
  17. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    She did mean racial segregation, but not to the extent of which I thought she was speaking. She told me there is no public facilities that are legally segregated. Thanks all for posting on my thread.
  18. well, i live in SC and i can tell you racism flourishes around here :meh:

but the sad part is that its becoming a two way street, everyone is starting to hate everyone :(

man i hate stupidity :oops:

EDIT: but no segregation, your teacher musta been confused.
  19. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I live in NC. Its getting better but the racism is definatly still there. And there is still segregation to a degree, although it tends to be self imposed. The different ethnic groups all tend to stay together in the halls of school and such.

My school isn't very bad, however the area is absolutly terrible. I have two couples living down the road from me and in both of them one spouse is white and the other is black. They both have recieved threats from the local KKK branch and one of them even had a cross burned in their yard. I was actually walking by when the fire department was putting it out. A few weeks later i drove by as John was out getting the paper and i saw a .38 tucked inside his coat. Thats how afraid they are now. The KKK even had a parade down main street just a few years ago.

I will say though that racism is decreasing tremendously and thats something to be thankful for.
  20. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've occasionally gotten weird looks from people(both white and black) when going places with my ex girlfriends(most of them are white, I'm black). Have never had any threatening experiences though. Most racism I see though comes from black people. I know more racist black people than whites, but I know more white people. I wish it would just stop. Slavery's been over for over 200 years(almost 250), and people my age have not been segregated or put through any kind of slavery, so they have no reason to be as racist as they are. People like that make me want to tie them down and force them to listen to Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Avril Lavigne, and boy bands until their ears bleed.