1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rack: 1U empty chassis (where to purchase??)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by julo, Aug 27, 2007.

1. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Hi everyone,

I'm building my rack and I'd like to mount my DI and probably other stuff in a rack: 1U most likely maybe 2, who knows.
    Anyway I tried to search at places that would sell empty chassis, cases, whatever you want to cal it ( ;) ). I can't find anything except computer, servers...

Does anybody have an idea, a link where I could buy one?

Thanks
    Julo

2. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So, are you looking for a rack case? There are tons out there. SKB is pretty popular. Raxxess makes some nice stuff too.

If you're building your own, and just need rail, well there's tons of that out there too. Again, check Raxxess.

So,uh, what is it you're looking for?

3. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    I knew this was coming... ;)

No I'm looking for the actual rack chassis not rack case to screw the unit into it (website mixes the terminology).
    Let's say I want to build a preamp and I need a box to put it in that will be 19" wide with pre-drill little ears so I can't mount it with my tuner, comp...

I hope I'm clearer.

4. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    You want to rehouse some things into a rack then? Why not use a rack shelf to hold the items in place with the original housings?

5. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    My train of thougth was that rehousing would save space, I could reorganise everything at my liking.
    It would be CUSTOMMMMMmmmmmhhhhh!!!

J

6. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Depends on the size of the original box. I've seen alot of DI's that would fit into 1U.

Have a metal working shop in the area? Go talk to them and see about getting something custom made. IME, it's not as expensive as it would seem, and you get to truly customize it.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    For starters try:

Sescom
    Par-Metal
    Hammond Mfg.

8. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Ok thanks for your interest.

In my mind using the rack rehousing was simple and I could add more stuff in it after wards..
    I thought that here some people might have done projects housed in a rack and that it could be somewhat easy to buy an empty rack.

9. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Thank you.
    That's exactly what I was looking for.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Do you need me to link the above suggestions? They should all come right up in Google...

11. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Sorry for the mix but that answer you quoted was for Stu.
    Google worked perfectly.

12. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Bump.

Has anyone actually ordered from Sescom? I made an online order for an empty 1u chassis yesterday, and all of a sudden today some guy calls me today saying that he's the supplier of the rack chasses and he needs my credit card number. Obviously, I wouldn't give it to him. I emailed Sescom to ask about it just now; maybe it has nothing to do with them, it was just someone intercepting part of the transaction. Or maybe it is all on the up and up and they really just didn't get my card number. It all just seems fishy to me.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any info you peepz might have.

edit: my email to Sescom bounced back, and their phone number is disconnected. This just don't seem right.

13. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    ruh roh. :(

14. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Sounds scary. I think they did web ordering the first time I dealt with them, then phone- or mail-only the last time? I can look through my records if you think it'd help any.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  16. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I assume that they don't have my credit card number, or they wouldn't have called, so I'm going to hope this whole business is over with, and just watch my statement this month.

Thanks for the alternate link, Bongo. Have you ever used any of those chassis? I see no indication as to whether the econochassis and the normal chassis are different or what makes them different other than the price. I do plan to gig it and lug it around a lot, but if I always keep it in an SKB rack case, I should be ok with the economy one, right?