Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack and power amp confusion??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harryhood, Jun 29, 2004.

1. harryhood

harryhood

Jun 25, 2004
    I’ve been doing some research as I prepare to buy my first good rig setup. I’m going with a preamp, poweramp, speaker cabinet setup. At this point I already have an ADA MB1 preamp and I’ve decided to get an SWR goliath 4x10 with 8 ohm impedence. AS far as the power amp I’m leaning towards a Carvin but I’m a little unsure about what kind of power I should look for from the amp. People have told me to go with 1.5-2 times what the max power of the speakers are per channel. The goliath has a 750 watt RMS max. So I figure I would want the DCM2000 which will provide 1400 watts of power with a bridged setup to an 8 ohm cab. What I’m thinking about is that in the future if id want to add another 4x10 or 1x15 do you think the DCM2000 would be enough to power both cabinets or should I count on supplying separate power amps to each cabinet? It provides 425 watts per channel at 8 ohms and 700 watts at 4 ohms. Also if both cabinets are 8 ohms does that mean that one power amp in stereo would power both channels with wattage for 8 ohm cabinets or 4 ohms since I am using two? Finally with my initial rig would having a 1400 watt amp powering the 750 watt speakers make it likely that too much power could damage the cabinet? Any comments questions or advice would be awesome and much appreciated.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Looking at the Carvin site, the DCM can be bridged into 4 ohms as well providing 2000 watts of power. If you use two 8 ohm cabinets in parallel (the normal way to use them), the load impedance that the amp will see will be nominally 4 ohms. This would give you up to 1000 watts per cabinet.

If you ran in the stereo mode, each channel would see 8 ohms and the power available would be 425 watts.

As far as damage goes...if you don't run the thing full blast all the time you should have no problems. Having the extra power is a good thing for transient response and it prevents the speakers from being damaged due to power amp clipping.

Keep in mind that the DCM2000 weighs 38 lbs... If you're going to lug the rack around a lot, you might want to look for something a little lighter. As I mentioned in your other thread, the QSC PLX-2402 has similar ratings (2400 watts bridged into 4 ohms) yet weighs just 21 lbs.

The extra 17 lbs is like carrying 2 gallons of milk...

3. harryhood

harryhood

Jun 25, 2004
    yea i looked at the QSC initially however i cant justify spending almost 400$ more to save 17 lbs of carrying weight. Plus i have heard great things about both QSC and Carvin so for me it came down to a finincial issue.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    harry (great user name, btw! :D ) : How about going the used route? I, too, would recommend a QSC, Stewart, Crown, etc., over a Carvin.

I have a Carvin FET-1000 power amp and I've owned a Carvin R600 head. In both cases, they are woefully underpowered when compared to one of the brands mentioned above.

I have a couple of old Trace Elliot power amps that rated at significantly lower wattage (50% lower, in fact) than my Carvin power amp and they blow the Carvin away.

Just my .02

5. harryhood

harryhood

Jun 25, 2004
    i'm getting the speaker cab used for sure but i have heard that with power amps its safer to buy new. Also the DCM 2000 has 1400 watts bridged at 8 ohms which is 650 more then id need. Chances are if i get another cab to add to my setup in the future ill probably get an additional amp to power it. Ive heard great things about carvin from what ive heard so far. Did you have any other problems with them or are they just underpowered because i doubt ill have that problem with the extra 650 watts. Thanks for the advice though i am looking for as much info as i can before i start to buy.

By the way you seeing any of the final shows?

6. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Unfortunately, I can't spare the time or the dimes for the final shows, though my wife did offer to send me to the final one as a birthday present.

As for Carvins, I haven't really had any other issues with the power amp other than some annoying hum that can't be completely remedied. But that's specific only to my amp and it's been discontinued anyway.

Reliability-wise, it's been fine and it is actually used as one of the power amps in our pa system.

7. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    You think the R600 is underpowered? Maybe its just me, but it seems like that thing can push my stack (2x10 and 1x15, both carvin for the reference) to the point where its definitely plenty loud, and in my band im going up against quite a lot of other members (3 guitars, keys, drums).

:meh: ah well, all opinion statements are all dependent on the persons ears, so i guess the world may never know, eh?

:)

8. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Chapbass: Compared to some of the other heads I've tried, I do think it is underpowered.

I had a Trace Elliot AH200 (200 watt head) that was MUCH louder than the Carvin.

9. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    ::shrugs:: ah well, still plenty loud for my needs (though the new B series amps from carvin look pretty awesome...)

10. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Chap: Don;t get me wrong, dude - I wasn;t trying to run it down or anything. It may very well be the right choice for him as well. :)

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got the DCM2000, my rig consists of an Avatar B210 and B115H, it pushes plenty for me. To the point that i can over power 175 wind/percussion players in marching band w/o turning up the volume past 5. :) If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I haven't used 4X10s w/this power amp [did play through a GK head/Hartke 410 @ disney though]. That's all