Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack bag comparison Odyssey vs. Protec vs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KB, Nov 11, 2004.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am getting a new amp (Thunderfunk) and would like a comparison for lightweight rack bags for it. The Thunderfunk is only about 11 inches deep front to back and I am looking for a 3 space bag or case. I have read a lot of discussions on here about the Odyessy and I am considering the 3 space Odyssey (12 inch deep version) vs the Protec 3 space. Has anyone tried both and can you give advantages and disadvantages of each.

I want durability and light weight with good protection of my amp. I am considering the 3 space versions in case I want to add another piece of rack gear in the future but I don't want anything large and heavy as that defeats the purpose of the light amp. The other option could be SKB Roto, but I think they are heavier (???). The SKB std ATA cases are too deep (18-19") and too expensive. Please share your thoughts. I have looked at previous threads but couldn't find much on caomparing the Protec with the Odyssey.

2. I just got the Odessy 12" 3 space bag. I have not compared the other but if I'm not mistaken a guy I know has one and had to add some screws to keep it together. I'm really not sure if that was the bag but it looks just like the Protec. I actually like the Protec handle/straps placement better than on the Odessy but that's not a big deale. The Odessy is well constructed (at least so far) and I really dig that the whole carpeted inner rack box easily comes out and you don't have the bag to deal with. For gigs I take it out of the bag and for reheasals were I'm going to be only a couple hours I leave it in the bag. Note: there are no legs or rubber feet on the inner rack box so if you take it out and you have say a handle like on my Berg 112 cabs it doesn't sit flat. Fix: I had some rubber feet which I screwed into the bottom of the inner rack and it is just perfect! Still slides easily in and out of the bag part. The Odessey has the cord/junk compartment in a different spot too. Which is better I don't know for sure. I mount my amp and rack tuner sort of upside down in my rackbag. Why: that way I don't have to unload the extra cords etc and the ends unzip and flip UP over the top of the bag rather than flipping down and under the back making for a wobbly footing. It's really not upside down but intuitively first looking at it you would thing so. I'm pretty happy so far with the Odessy and hope it last a long time.

Note: You may want to consider the next deeper bag for your new Thunderfunk. The TF would be right at the very back of the soft cover an the Odessy is set down on that part because the handles are at the front and not the sides. If I were to change one thing on the Odessy it would be to put the handles on the side like the Protec. But.. if I were to choose between the two I'm would still get the Odessy and just the next deeper one for you Thunderfunk. JMHO>

3. i absolutely love my modern case 15" deep rack bag.

robb.

4. http://www.hollywooddj.com/odracbag.html

Here is a link that shows the Odyessy (finally spelled it right)
    and in fact I did mount mine correctly with the flaps storing up on top. They make a 14" deep version probably ideal for your TF. I got mine through Musician's Friend on line they were on sale.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    everything biggie said...

also, my 3 rack Odyssey is waaaaaaaaay lighter than the Protec. sure, the protec feels like it'll handle more bumps, but the slide out rack, lightweight, and equal toughness of the product makes the Odyssey my winner.

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Looks like the Odyssey seems to be either 12" or 16" as even that one on the hollywooddj site seems to be the same as the MF ones. I may just go with the 16" to insure enough room behind the amp as 1 inch could be kind of tight (especially with the power cable plugged in..plus it seems to be the same price.

Is the shoulder strap strong and secure on the Odyssey? With the 16" weighing 15 pounds and the amp weighing 15 pounds, I just want to make sure everything is good for 30 pounds.

MF seems to be out of stock for the 16" versions so I'll probably have to buy from somewhere else.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Is the odyssey 3 space rack bag really 15 pounds as it is states on the websites? That seems kind of heavy, especially since the protec 3 space is only 7.5 pounds (as listed on a website).

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    bumpity

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I had an Odyssey 3RU. It was light and was the best looking of all rack bags I've owned but it also felt a little flimsy too.

It will keep your stuff together for sure but I don't know that it will take any serious jarring. If someone else ever handles your equipment, I'd think twice.

I had a Gator bag that was pretty nice. Not as heavy as Warwick Rockbag racks and built like a tank. The thing I didn't like was there was very little padding on the shoulder strap which made it uncomfortable...

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I may just end up going for the standard SKB ATA 3 or 4 space case as they are more durable (I currently have a 6 space) and are fairly light. They are also more expensive.

11. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    The Odyssey bag looks great! :hyper:

I looked for all Odyssey products on the musicians friend website, and couldn't find a 2 space rack bag. :(

Do they exist?

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    No, two spaces are not available.

13. My Odyessy bag is great. Like I said the only things is the strap handles placement, would be better on the sides.

14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    KB,
    Just so happens that I recently purchased a Protec 3U rack bag for my TFB420. I also have a Groove Pak 3U rack bag for my SM-500. The Protec was about $25 more than the Groove Pak and structurely seems to be a slightly better bag. The shape of the Protec bag is more consistant. The Groove bag tends to flip up some in some areas but doesn't affect the installation of the amp. The Protec has the carrying straps on the side and the Groove bag has the carrying straps on the front. The Protec has metal shoulder hooks and the Groove Pak has plastic shoulder hooks. I can't really say that the Protec is worth 50% more cost (Groove Pak - $49.00; Protec - $74.00) but I do like the Protec better. Either is much better than the bulky SKB 3U racks! :)

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I actually placed an order for the Protec bag this morning.
    I think it will fit my needs more and be the proper size.

16. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The Thunderfunk fits very well with my Furman in the 3 space Protec bag. Just the right amount of room behind the amp to store its power cable, but not the vast room of the oversized SKB ATT rack cases.

The bag is well constructed, and fairly light weight (8 pounds or so). The pocket on top has a smaller organizer pocket inside of it to hold pens, business cards, whatever. The handle is comfortable. The shoulder strap has nice metal clamps and stuff, but it not really padded enough to be comfortable. I doubt I'd use the shoulder strap much.
    The bag seems well padded and the front and back panels fold very neatly under the bag. Getting the amp in was a snug fit, but it is secure. Because of it being a rack bag without a hardcase on the front, the amp is recessed in the bag somewhat, but not enough to make reaching controls difficult.

I'll try to get a nice picture to post here.

-KB

17. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Pictures of my Thunderfunk in the Protec 3 space. The front and back flaps are folded under. Works well.

18. KB
    Nice set up! Looks cool. I have to try a TF sometime, not that I need another amp..but... :help:

I would have chosen that rack bag myself if the actual rack was removeable from the bag. I like the strap/carrying system better on your bag, but I needed the rack to come out.
    Happy Holidays!

19. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    Well, the SKB ones with roller wheels and the pull up handle don't weight diddly, and are pretty nifty. A three space isnt that big at all.

20. FWIW,,,, I checked out one of those roller cases I forget if it was a Gator or SKB, and it didn't sit right on the cab due to the wheels sticking out some on that end, how else would it roll... but I didn't like it.... :bag: