Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Bags for iamp 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm hoping to get my new EA iamp 800 within the next month, and will be looking for a rack bag to go with the unit, either a three space or a 4 space. The iamp won't be very heavy (about 19 lbs IIRC) or very deep, so I don't think I'll have too many restrictions about what kind I'd need to fit the amp in, but I do have a few questions:

- Do padded rack bags such as the Protec have any frame to them at all aside from the front rails, or are they just padded bags attached to the rails?

- Those you own and use padded bags, what options are out there (i.e. - brands, feature, etc.)? If you own one, all reviews would be helpful.

- Any troubles with the shoulder straps breaking? Are they trustworthy?

- Last, and this has nothing to do with rack bags at all, what is the general consensus on the need for a power conditioner or voltage regulator for digital switching amps? Yea, nay, or "it depends"?

Hope this was the right forum to post this in! Thanks in advance.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Odyssey Rack Bags!!

been lovin' my 3 spacer for a while now. check out the sig and you'll see it housing my DB680/Stewart setup. i literally ordered all the rack bags i could from Musicians Friend, and this was the best.

the Protec was ok, but no deep enough for me. also, the front panel seemed to be set too far deep, so it only allowed 14" or 15" inside the bag.

the Warwick rack bag was just too heavy. nicely constructed, but its weight negated the fact that it was supposed to be portable.

the Odyssey was just right! easy weight, nice protection, and the straps were tough and wide. also, liked how the sleeve slipped off, so all you're left with is a black carpeted rack. unfortunately, they dont make a 2 spacer, but the 3 fit the bill to a T. also, unlike the others, you can get varying depths from something like 8", 12", and 16".

3. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    EA iamp 800
    Can you order these amps now ?
    If you don't mind me asking how much are you paying?
    I'm really thinking about getting one.

4. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I have a 3 space rack bag made by the Modern Case Company. It is a custom bag I bought through Aguilar for my db359. It's been holding up very well with a 50 lb amp. Should be just fine for the 800. I don't have any experience with other bags but this one seems very well made and its pretty light.

http://www.moderncase.com/rk-rb.htm

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have a 3 space Groove Pack rack bag I've used for quite awhile to house my WT 300 and it's been great. I don't use the shoulder strap. I prefer the carrying strap.

It's construction is basically hard plastic panels on all sides, placed internally, with a nylon/Cordura on the outside. I trust it 100%. As long as I don't drop it out of a 2 story window, I see no reason why it shouldn't be fine years from now. If you have world tours in the future, go for a flite case. For weekenders, however, ya can't beat the bag.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sorry for the aside but a question for joker: How you likin' that 680? I'm diggin' the 659 so much I'm starting to have grandiose thoughts about moving up!

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for all the replies and links, everybody...now it looks like I've got a lot of choices. I'll wait until I have my amp in hand before ordering though, considering how the wait for the 800 has been going.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I bought an Odyssey rack bag after reading joker's original review and kudos and I've really enjoyed it.

Light, convenient and sturdy. I also like how the bag part slips off of the internal frame. The frame is nice looking by itself.

brad cook

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    boog, boogie, booger...

being able to put a massive Aguilar bump in the low mids is pure heaven with the DB680. if you only could play one, my man, if only... ;)

10. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have been happy with my Protec 3-space, just barely deep enough for my Stewart 1.2 with some spacers between the rail and the amp in front. No rail in back. Seems to be made of 10mm plywood with triangular wood gussets in the corners. The built-in pouch on top is very useful for spare cables etc. I don't use the shoulder strap, I use the handles, which are suitably heavy-duty. The bag and amp and all survived a fall from the car seat to the ground when I opened the door one day and it rolled out and down.

Joker has me curious about the Odyssey bags, but not enough to ditch my Protect, which after all is working fine.

FWIW, I have been using my Stewart just fine with no more protection than a power strip. It has a switching power supply but is a Class H amp, not Class D.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Soon, my brutha. Soon.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe... you know you wanna check one out.

but after taking a look at mine, i must admit, the build isnt quite as solid as my buddy's Protec (which happens to house a sweet SWR Interstellar OD & QSC power amp ;)) the Odyssey's shell seems a little anemic compared to the more robust Protec. guess that's the tradeoff of lighter weight.

13. I have a Protec 4 space - It's got internal structure on the sides and metal feet. I find the shoulder strap very useful.

I had a Groove Pack bag, but the frame actually came off the bag - it didn't seem to be made for heavy usage. One of the handles came off, too.

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What he said. I have the 3 space 16" and it is sweet. The only problem is that my Furman is too shallow for the rack, so it's hard to plug things in to it.