rack bags

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Dec 29, 2004.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone use them over hardshell cases? IF so, what brand? Any down side to using them? Thanks.
  2. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    i have my iAmp800 mounted in a RockBag by Warwick. Its got zip out flaps at the front and back that velcro up, a zip pocket on the side, a very sturdy hand strap and a thick shoulder strap.
    I think its great. I can carry my amp and my bass in the one trip. But i must say, i am right at my limit carrying both. If it were a heavier amp, it wouldnt be worth it.
  3. i was considering gettign a bag, but i'd rather have the protection that a hard case gives.. i'd hate to wreck 100s if not 1000s of dollars in equipment
  4. I have a RockBag too, holding my SWR Bass750. No complaints and I am totally confident that my amp is safe. It's on the heavy side though but I would say it's a tougher construction than a hardshell case. It's made from thick plywood and the soft flaps are strong enough to hold out anything small enough to chrash into the ends of the bag (like cymbalstands etc.) I got a minor problem with the srews holding the mountingrails getting loose. They're hard to reach and tighten hard enough. Cons: Weight! Pros: zipflaps doesn't get lost like lids and no one steps on them bending them out of shape. Protectionwise hardshell and rockbag gives the same I think. If you regulary drop your gear get a flightcase or a roadie.
  5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I used SKB racks exclusively for years and recently purchased a Protec and Groove Pak rack bag. I think that they're great. The SKB was so large and bulky. It wouldn't fit in my truck passenger seat and wasn't very stable behind the seats with my basses. The hard/slick plastic allowed it to slid around to much. Of the 2 bags that I purchased, IMO the Protec is the better (but cost about 50% more). Still, at $75 the Protec (3U) is a great deal and so is the Groove Pak at $50. I don't feel like I'm compromising the safety of my gear at all. I have a TFB-420 in the Protec and a SWR SM500 in the Groove Pak.