Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rack Cable Management (kinda Amp related)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to secure cables to the sides of racks? The SKB is plastic, so there are very limited places where I could drill into it, and the Anvil is only 3/8" thick, so I'm not sure how securely I could mount something with screws.

I want retainers on the left and right side- power cables on the left and signal cables on the right.

In the past, I've used double sided tape, but it always comes off over time and leaves funky residue.

I thought about using some epoxy to glue some 1/4" ply to the sides to give me something to screw into, but I thought I'd ask first, to see if I'm reinventing the wheel.

2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Hot Glue.

One of my buddies has used hot glue to good efect within both types of cases. He'll hot glue his mounting tabs in place inside the rack, let it dry, then attach his cables to the mounting tabs using wire ties.

I've used the same method myself. However, I also drill holes and use screws and tabs, especially in Anvil-type cases with the 3/8" plywood. I've never had any problems with them breaking out, ripping, or not holding for some reason. Now I'm very careful with my stuff, so that might make a difference.

Hope this helps!

dcr

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Velcro, dude. Know it, love it.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Drill a hole in each side of the back of the rack on the top and bottom for a total of four holes. Get some hose clamps and some washers, nuts, and short bolts. If you're overly meticulous about your rack aesthetics, spraypaint all the parts.

For each hole, adjust the hose clamp to your favorite diameter (I'm thinking 1/2" but whatever) and bolt that into the inside of the rack. You now have a platform to which you can anchor zip ties or velcro strips to keep the cables in check. If you're modding an SKB I'd advise using huge washers.

You could use a lot of things instead of hose clamps, like short rings of PVC pipe for instance.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Little known fact: Hosa makes power cables in 1-, 1.5- and 2-foot lengths. I just scored some. They really clean up the back of that rack. They also make a bitchen one that has two of the little trapezoidal plugs that go into the back of an effect merged into a single 3-prong power plug, so you save a space in your Furman.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Most useful thing i learned all day

7. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I used velcro cable ties when I had rack gear. They worked great and were easy to remove if needed.

You can buy cable kits that let you build your own length cables. Musician's Friend has George L's kits with cable and ends that require no soldering.

8. +1

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm a fan of the velcro route.

For interconnections between pres and the power amp-i use 3 ft. cables as they're long enough for me to be able to swap/bypass as needed-yet short enough that i don't have a bunch of slack just sitting back there.

I will be looking into those really short power cables. The only thing in my rack that doesn't have a standard AC cable [removeable type] is the BBE Bass Max T-it's a hardwired 2 prong cord. Time to do a search for the short AC cords.

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    You can also buy replacement 3 prong plugs at a hardware store and shorten the power cord as much as you need to.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys, I appreciate it.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i use really short patch cords in my rack 1/2' monster bass and i think the cords to the power amp are 1 and 1/2' tops (the power amp is in a seperate rack).
    i've been using "Cord lox" velcro cable ties to keep the power cables in check but im runing out to get some short power cords. The only other thing i do is use a twist tie on the cord from my ac adaptor to one of my processers to keep it out of the way.