Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rack case for mesa boogie 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 810wmb, Sep 18, 2002.

1. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    i am going to get a rack case for my 400+ head.

is a four space rack big enough?

it is a 4 space (7") tall head. is there space above and below the amp for air to circulate?

or do i need a 6 space rack?

also is the shock mount case worth the extra bucks?

thanks very much for any information...

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, if you don't put anything else in with it.

No.
    If you plan to use a tuner and/or power conditioner or leave air space, yes.
    Yes, but it's heavy as sin. Excellent protection for all that glass, however. Nice shock absorbers.

If you decide on a 6 or 4, check with me first, I may be able to save you a few bucks.

3. My 400+ (bought used) came with diesel case 4U. Works fine, lots of air can cirkulate, but most of it goes out the bac door so to speak since the 400+ is all open there.

4. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    guys - thanks for the input.

if the four space will do it, that's what i'll go with. i am not going to put anything else in with it.

i just wanted to make sure i had enough room in it for the amp to vent properly.

i would love the shock rack, but if it's that heavy i'll pass. i am very careful with my gear anyway, just wanting a little protection and carrying ease.

boogie, shoot me an email and tell me whats on your mind!

5. I have two 400+ amps.
    I have them both in SKB case that I modified very easily. They mount up just fine, it was the fan area on the case I modified. I simply took off the handle assembly on the side the fan of the amp is on and drilled 1/4" holes in the depression part of that handle assembly and it works superbly! The pattern I used was every 1/4" or so in one straight line from left to right (or whatever) and the next row was offest in between the two holes above it. And so on and so on creating an alternating pattern which allowed me to put in more holes per square inch. So the rows look like a 5 on a dice repeating itself over and over.
    Does that make any sense....
    Skb case aren't that great but they are much lighter than anything made out of wood.

6. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    big string - thank you.

i like the solution to open the fan up.

i'm going 4

7. ive got a rotorak 6 and an 8 space for my 400+amps , on both i drilled from the inside out with a holesaw, you know the round things you drill out doorknob holes with. i think it was 4",...with a little planning they both came out perfect. looks great and you cant get any more airflow, also cause its one hole it would also be quieter. do it

8. no need to hack off the left side handle,....i forgot to mention that. cause your going from the inside out.

9. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    grooveking - very cool. great idea, thanks

10. spend the time to plan the hole properly and you will do great!

11. DON'T "hack off the handle!"
    I didn't say that. Just take off the assembly and drill your holes and put it back on the case. The handle is still there. You just drill the holes in the recessed part.

Stimpy! Don't make want to keeeeel you.

12. I just got a 400+ and I need to get a case for it. I've been looking at the SKB ones as they are on the cheaper side and have decent reviews.

Is it a bad idea to not have the holes drilled on the side for the fan? Also, is it a bad idea to not have vertical clearance? I was thinking about getting a 6 rack space and putting in a Sansamp and possibly a tuner. I just want to make sure I'm not going to risk damaging my 400+. Any input would be appreciated.

13. I've always used regular 4 space cases. I run mine pretty hard and its never been a huge issue. But then I turn the fan on high and mine is 400 not a 400+.
    I also position it so that it tight against the bottom and there is a gap at the top.

14. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    The Mesa/Boogie shockmount cases are under the "SUS-4" model. They are awesome, but heavy and the four unit cases are few and far between.

Basically they are indestructible and most people who have them plan on using them, at least until their backs go out.